BEST Gluten-Free Banana Pancakes

Best ever banana paleo pancake recipe

These are hands down the BEST banana pancakes that I’ve ever had!

Pancake recipes are like shades of lipstick…you can never have too many.

One day you might be feeling like some really fluffy pancakes, while the next you may want pancakes with chocolate chips. Then there are the puffy pancake days, harvest nut pancake days,  and the days when you want a simple, no fuss pancake.

In my opinion, pancakes don’t get better than these Gluten-Free Banana Pancakes. The sweet, creaminess of banana is blended right into the grain-free batter, making these tender pancakes little explosions of flavor.

When I was a kid my grandparents would drive up the coast from California to Washington state in their big motorhome to visit us. They would park the motorhome on our gravel driveway, and in the morning I would go out and knock on their door, hoping for some of my grandma’s banana pancakes. She would add sliced bananas to the pancakes while they cooked, leaving delicious caramelized disks of banana in the finished pancake.

I’ve never been able to successfully add slices of banana to gluten-free pancakes. The whole thing ends up falling apart! And while I have nothing against a crumbled pile of yummy banana-pancake, I’d rather have pancakes that stick together! The solution was to blend banana right into the batter. You still get that creamy, sweet banana texture without having to battle a pancake that wants to fall apart.

These are now our favorite Saturday morning treat! Try it out and let me know what you think. Enjoy 🙂

BEST Gluten-Free Banana Pancakes

1. Combine the mashed banana, eggs, coconut sugar, vanilla and almond extracts in a food processor. Add the flour, soda and salt. Mix well. Let the batter sit for 15 minutes.
  2. Preheat coconut oil on your griddle over medium heat. Ladle pancake batter by ¼ cup onto griddle. When bubbles form, flip the pancakes to cook other side.
  3. Serve with sliced banana and pure maple syrup. Enjoy!

Serving size: ⅕     Calories: 295     Fat: 18     Carbohydrates: 16     Sugar: 3     Sodium: 270     Fiber: 5     Protein: 4

Best ever banana paleo pancake recipe

Drizzle that short stack with some pure maple syrup :)

Comments

• marg February 19, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Have youbever made the best pancake receipe into crepes?

• Diana February 19, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Hi Marg, I haven’t tried that, but it sounds like a tasty idea! You could thin the batter with a little coconut milk to make these pancakes turn out like crepes. Let me know how those turn out 🙂

• bryn February 19, 2014 at 11:05 pm

delicious!

• Julia Mensing March 26, 2014 at 12:36 am

Followed the recipe to the letter. When cooking the pancakes, mine never bubbled and when I attempted to flip them, they weren’t done in the center, so they started to come apart. If I cooked them longer so they would bubble, they burned. I don’t have a griddle; used a saute pan on my gas stove on medium heat. Any suggestions? Pancakes were good; very filling. I added lightly toasted walnuts to the sliced banana and maple syrup. Any suggestions? Thanks!

• Diana March 26, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Hi Julia,
      It sounds to me like your skillet wasn’t preheated enough to cook the pancakes properly. Best way to make it easier next time is to preheat the skillet for at least 5 minutes, on med-low heat, then turn the heat down just a bit as you start to cook the pancakes. Also it helps if it’s a pretty thick/sturdy skillet/griddle. Thanks for sharing and hope that helps! Enjoy 🙂

• Jena June 5, 2014 at 3:54 am

I am so happy to have found your recipe for banana pancakes!! I recently converted to eating clean and have tried about 6 different pancake recipes for my picky 2&4 yo… This was finally a hit!! I cant wait to try more of your recipes!!

• Diana June 5, 2014 at 5:07 am

Hi Jena,
      Yay! So glad you liked this recipe. Thanks for sharing 🙂

• Tara August 24, 2014 at 10:36 pm

I made these this morning! Such a great recipe. The flavor and texture are delicious. Definitely one I will make again. .possibly replace my box mix totally. Thanks so much for this! Love love love!

• Diana August 26, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Hi Tara,
      Woop woop! So happy you enjoyed this recipe 🙂

• Ryan October 28, 2014 at 4:53 pm

tried this with gluten free flour. Don’t do that. It didn’t work. IT was dense gummy paste. I salvaged it but it probably was not what was intended here.

• Diana October 30, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Hi Ryan,
      Subbing gluten-free flours is very tricky, and usually doesn’t work 1:1. Try this recipe as it’s written and you’ll get much better results! Enjoy 🙂

• Joanne Davies December 7, 2014 at 10:46 am

Made the banana pancakes but found it was a very thick batter. Used ground almonds as find it difficult to buy almond meal in UK. Should this have been ok and if so what should I use to thin down? Thanks

• Diana December 10, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Hi Joanne,
      This batter is meant to be pretty thick, and you’ll spread it out on the griddle for that perfect pancake shape. Make sure your griddles not too hot, so it cooks perfectly all the way through without burning the outside. Ground almonds are perfectly OK (that’s what almond flour is) just make sure to grind nice and fine. Enjoy!

• TIA January 2, 2015 at 4:01 pm

I didn’t have almond flour so I used coconut flour and I’ve got a big bowl of sugary flour but no batter. What can I do to make this batter better?

• Diana January 6, 2015 at 8:41 pm

Hi Tia,

There’s no perfect 1:1 sub for coconut flour, since it absorbs so much liquid in comparison to other flours. It’s best to use the flours that the recipe specifies in the amounts specified. Happy Cooking!

• Diana July 20, 2015 at 11:19 pm

Hi Diana,

These pancakes were very good! It was so nice to have some pancakes for breakfast again. Used a cast iron griddle and yes, pre-heating and then reducing heat was the ticket. Also, I didn’t spread out the first pancakes but after flipping I gently pushed down, the extra batter squooshed out and all that was required was a short second flip to cook the squooshed batter.
    Anyway, the time you take to figure out these recipes is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!