Ahhh Valentine’s Day, the day of love <3
Last year I made B a Grain-Free Pizza shaped like a heart…lol. He’s been my Valentine for 13 years running and I always make him a special Valentine’s day treat. Back in 2011 I made a raw, vegan Chocolate Strawberry Cake that was pretty awesome — avocados are used for the creamy chocolate frosting!
This year I couldn’t think of anything sexier than Strawberries and Dark Chocolate. And rather than simply dipping or drizzling strawberries with chocolate, why not bake fresh strawberries into a mini grain-free donut and top it off with a chocolate glaze?
I also came up with a really easy, wholesome pink strawberry glaze made with fresh and freeze dried strawberries. It’s fun to be able to create vibrant colors without using harmful, artificial coloring. The combination of the dark brown chocolate and the pretty pink strawberry turns out really fun and festive.
I hope that your Valentine’s Day is filled with love….and filled with Paleo Strawberry Mini Donuts!
- 3 Tablespoons pure maple syrup, grade B
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature, whites and yolks separated
- ½ cup fresh strawberry, minced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Generously grease a 12-mold mini donut pan with coconut oil.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. In another medium bowl combine all of the wet ingredients except egg whites and minced strawberries.
- Mix the wet with dry and set aside.
- Beat the egg whites until firm peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter. Fold in the minced strawberries.
- Use a piping bag to carefully fill each donut mold with batter. Do not overfill. The batter will make 36 mini donuts. Bake for 5 minutes until lightly golden.
- Allow the donuts to cool, remove from pan and then chill in the fridge for half an hour before frosting.
- Fill a medium skillet with a few inches of water and place over medium-low heat. Place the glaze ingredients in a small saucepan and put the saucepan inside the skillet. Gently mix the ingredients until fully melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate into a shallow bowl. Dip each chilled donut in the chocolate, then immediately chill for 30 minutes until the glaze hardens.
- Combine all of the strawberry glaze ingredients in a food processor or high speed blender. Pulse until completely pureed and uniformly pink. Pour the glaze into a shallow bowl. Dip each chilled donut in the glaze, then immediately chill for 30 minutes until the glaze hardens. If the glaze is not thin enough, then warm slightly to liquify the coconut oil.
- Store the glazed donuts in your fridge. Enjoy!