Most appetizers are terrible for you.
From fried chips to carb-filled bread, there’s a good chance that you’ll take in more calories and fat from the appetizer than you even need from your entire meal.
But don’t fret, it is still possible to enjoy the occasional appetizer while staying healthy and lean. The key is to choose items that aren’t high in carbs or cooked with lots of fat.
Here are some Real Healthy Appetizers that are gluten free and protein-packed:
- Fresh vegetables dipped in hummus
- Sliced cucumber or jicama dipped in fresh guacamole
- Prosciutto and fresh fruit skewers
- Fresh figs with bacon
- Organic dates with bacon
- Olive-stuffed meatballs
- or these bacon wrapped scallops
Enjoy these scallops with the satisfaction of knowing they are filled with protein, vitamin B-12 and omega-3 fatty acids, in addition to tasting awesome!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet with coconut oil, set aside.
- Over very low heat, in a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil. Remove from heat, pour into a small bowl. Add the garlic, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Dip each scallop in the seasoned coconut oil, the wrap with bacon and secure with a toothpick. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the scallops are cooked through and the bacon is crisp.
- Serve immediately.