If autumn had a flavor it would be this Curried Pumpkin Soup.
Once the weather starts to shift from warm to crisp, pumpkin-flavored-everything invades the marketplace, starting with my kitchen. While the air has most certainly not turned crisp yet, I’ve already started in on the pumpkin recipes…
There’s something so fundamentally comforting about creamy, warm, well flavored soups. Butternut Squash soup is usually my favorite, with pumpkin working it’s way in at a close second. This recipe takes it to an even more flavorful place by adding in curry powder, which enhances both the craveability AND the color of this memorable soup.
While most creamy, homemade soups are kept simple and served as either an appetizer or a light meal, I opted to increase the substance by adding shredded chicken and cooked quinoa. This makes a small bowl of this soup an absolute complete meal. It’s the same idea that I used in my Creamy Chicken Soup with Quinoa and Roasted Red Peppers which is one of my favorite go-to quick, comforting dinners.
If you don’t wish to increase the heartiness of this soup then simply leave the quinoa and shredded chicken out and serve it smoothly and simply. Enjoy!
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 (15oz) can pumpkin puree
- 1 (15oz) can coconut milk
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 2 Tablespoons roasted pepitas
- coconut cream as optional garnish
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, minced as optional garnish
- In a large soup pot place the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion. Cook, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger, cooking for another 3 minutes. Add the cumin, curry and sea salt. Continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the pumpkin, coconut milk and broth. Increase the heat to bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Divide the quinoa and shredded chicken between the bowls. Garnish with pepitas, coconut cream and red bell pepper. Enjoy!