When it comes to quick, guilt-free dinners it doesn’t get better than this. These Fully Loaded-Lettuce Wrapped-Turkey Bacon Burgers only take about 35 minutes to prepare, and taste like a naughty, cheat meal.
Once I got into the habit of ditching the bun from my burger and instead using large lettuce leaves, I don’t even miss it. Try it and I’m sure you’ll see that it’s a pretty painless way to cut the carbs, grain and gluten from your life. I use a head of Living Butter Lettuce. It has wonderful sized leaves and it stays fresh since it’s packed with the roots still intact. Pretty awesome.
For your side make some Mexican Style Cauliflower rice. That’s a healthy, low-carb meal that the whole family will enjoy!
- 8 strips nitrate-free bacon
- ½ a yellow onion, sliced
- ⅛ cup blanched almond flour
- 1 pound organic, ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons balsamic glaze
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ cup red bell pepper, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- Large lettuce leaves
- Sliced organic tomato
- Set the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and place a metal cooling rack in the center. Arrange the bacon pieces on the rack and bake for 20 minutes, or until crispy. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Grill the sliced onion in a grill pan over medium high heat with a few drops of olive oil. Grill until tender and caramelized. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Chop 6 of the bacon strips and place in a medium bowl. Chop ¼ cup of the grilled onions and add to the bowl. Add the almond flour, turkey, balsamic glaze, tomato paste, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, bell peppers and chives to the bowl. Mix well with your hands — it’s OK to get messy here! Form into 6 patties.
- Place the patties on your grill pan over medium high heat for about 4 minutes per side, until cooked through.
- Serve your Fully Loaded-Lettuce Wrapped-Turkey Bacon Burgers on large lettuce leaves and topped with sliced tomato and the extra grilled onions and bacon pieces. Seve with a side of Mexican Style Cauliflower Rice. Enjoy!