Bad snacking is one of the number one reasons that people gain weight. That occasional bag of chips or pair of cookies from the vending machine may seem harmless enough, but I know from firsthand experience that those processed calories add up — quickly!
Rather than munching on grain-and-sugar filled snacks, these days I enjoy fresh sliced fruits and veggies, a handful of nuts or a hard boiled egg. Of course there are those days when only a caveman cookie will do.
This recipe for Real Healthy Beef Jerky opens up a whole new snacking option. It’s great for on-the-go, doesn’t need refrigeration and is packed with protein to power your day. You don’t have to worry about all those preservatives that store-bought jerky contains, your batch of Real Healthy Jerky is pure and chemical free.
The process of making jerky is fun and surprisingly easy. You don’t even need a dehydrator, your oven will do just fine.
- 2 lb lean flank steak, frozen
- 2 cups coconut aminos
- 2 cups apple juice
- ½ cup pure maple syrup, grade b
- 1 Tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 Tablespoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 3 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- Using a mandoline slicer, slice the frozen flank steak into strips of about ¼ inch thickness, slicing with the grain.
- Combine all of the remaining ingredients in a large Tupperware. Add the steak slices. Cover tightly and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Turn your oven to 160 degrees F. Cover the bottom of the oven with foil — this gets messy! Pat any excess marinade off each steak strip then lay directly across your oven racks. Wipe any excess marinade from the foil-lined oven bottom. Place a wooden spoon in the crack of the oven door to keep it slightly propped open.
- Allow the steak to dehydrate for the next 3 hours. Flip each piece over and dehydrate for another 3 hours. Your jerky is done when you’re able to easily rip a piece off.
- This jerky will keep in a sealed bag, without refrigeration, for 3 months.