Holy honey scones! No matter how healthy you want to eat, or how much you want to avoid grains and gluten and all those simple sugars and fattening carbs, there are days when you just gotta have a sweet, baked treat with your coffee or tea. And with this scrumptious new recipe, now you can tickle that sweet tooth while still avoiding grains, gluten and cane sugar!
Scones are a treat that I have been meaning to hack for ages, so I thought that it was time to take a stab at creating an enjoyable scone that would be fun and tasty to put out for tea time, or to nibble on for breakfast with a cup of coffee.
To make these scones lighter and fluffier than most grain-free bread products I whipped the egg whites, giving the batter some lift. The scones are glazed with melted, raw honey and then sprinkled with coarse sea salt, giving it that enjoyable sweet and salty flavor combination. Be warned: these scones are fairly substantial – just one is a meal all by itself- so feel free to shape smaller scones if you would prefer, and simply shorten the bake time by a few minutes.
I really recommend enjoying the recipe as it’s written with the ooey-gooey honey glaze on top and the sea salt. But, if you want to reduce the sugar grams, sub out the honey in the batter for a few drops of liquid stevia, and then omit the honey glaze on top. Enjoy!
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- ½ cup flax meal
- 1 cup arrowroot starch
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup coconut oil, softened
- 3 tablespoons raw honey, melted and divided
- 8 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 ̊F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the blanched almond flour, flax meal, arrowroot starch, coconut flour, and baking soda in a bowl. Mix well. Add the coconut oil and 1 Tablespoon of the honey and mix to combine.
- Whip the egg whites until soft peaks form. Combine the dough with the whipped egg whites. Carefully fold together with a large spoon. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Place the dough on the prepared baking sheet and pat into an 8-inch round, ¾ inch thick. Cut the round into 8 wedges, and brush the tops with the remaining 2 Tablespoons of melted raw honey. Sprinkle with the coarse sea salt.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the scones are golden top. Enjoy!