I’m blown away that quinoa can be used to make a dessert as elegant as this Lemon Basil Quinoa Pudding with Fresh Raspberry Sauce. Blown. Away.
The lemon and basil in this spectacular pudding are not traditional dessert flavors, but when paired with the raspberry it works surprisingly well. I couldn’t stop sneaking bites of it while snapping the photo. Then, once B and the kids tried a bite, I had to fight them off as well!
This is a wonderful dessert to make ahead of time, and to chill in the fridge before company comes over. It’s so pretty when served in jars and garnished with fresh raspberries, pistachios and basil leaves. Enjoy!
- 4 cups fresh raspberries (plus more for garnish)
- ½ teaspoon liquid stevia (or 1 Tablespoon of honey)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- ½ vanilla bean
- 2 cans coconut milk, full fat (divided)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- ¼ teaspoon liquid stevia
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced (plus more for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons pistachios, chopped (for garnish)
- In a saucepan combine the raspberries, stevia and lemon juice over medium heat. Bring to a simmer for 7 minutes. Press the mixture through a strainer to remove all of the seeds.
- Return the smooth sauce to the saucepan and bring back to a simmer. In a small bowl combine the water and arrowroot starch, whisking with a fork until fully combined. Add the arrowroot mixture to the skillet, along with the vanilla bean, and simmer until the sauce has thickened. Remove and discard the vanilla bean before serving.
- In a medium sized saucepan bring one can of coconut milk and the water to a boil, over medium-high heat. Add the quinoa and salt. Return to a boil.
- Cover the saucepan and reduce the heat to the lowest setting, cooking undisturbed for 12 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix in the remaining can of coconut milk, egg yolks, and lemon zest with one cup of the cooked quinoa. Add the yolk mixture, scraped vanilla bean seeds and stevia back into the rice, whisking constantly over medium heat for 5 minutes, until thickened.
- Off heat, mix in the coconut oil and chopped basil leaves. Serve the pudding with raspberry sauce and garnish with fresh raspberries and chopped pistachios. Chill until serving. Enjoy!