This isn’t any plain old en papillote recipe, where veggies and protein are steamed in parchment paper in the oven. Well, it is and it isn’t. The veggies and protein in this recipe are steamed in parchment paper in the oven, but the resulting dish is anything but plain!
Spicy chili is balanced with sweet, fresh orange in this dish of plump, juicy shrimp and tender, sweet butternut squash noodles. While you’d expect that a dish with this much flavor would take time and effort, you’ll be pleasantly surprised to find that this dish is ready from start to finish in only 30 minutes. And clean up is a breeze, simply crumble up the parchment paper packet once you’ve devoured its contents, and just like that clean up duty is done.
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 Tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili paste (more to taste for spicier)
- 1 butternut squash, turned into noodles with a spiral slicer
- 1 ½ lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- sea salt and black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, minced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl combine the ginger, garlic, orange juice, coconut aminos, olive oil and chili paste.
- In a large bowl toss the butternut squash noodles and shrimp with the marinade.
- Cut four 12-by-16-inch pieces of parchment paper and fold each in half. Open the parchment paper and arrange ¼ of the noodles and shrimp in the center of the top half of each parchment. Generously season with salt and pepper. Top with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
- Fold the bottom half of the parchment paper over the shrimp and noodles. Start folding and crimping the parchment paper ends together from one end all the way around to the other end, creating a sealed envelope. Fold the end under the packet. The packet should be fully encased, with no breaks in the parchment paper for steam to escape – we need that steam as part of the cooking process! Place the packets on a pan.
- Bake the shrimp and noodle packets for 15 minutes and remove from the oven. Serve the packets on plates, tearing them open just before serving. Enjoy!