I’ve been on an “en papillote” cooking kick lately, serving up dinners in cute little parchment paper packets like it’s going out of style. Combining the entire meal together for uniform cooking is so convenient and simple!
This recipe, for Greek Salmon and Rice, combines my favorite Greek inspired ingredients like kalamata olives, red onion, garlic, lemon and olive oil and serves it up over a bed of tender cauliflower rice. By adding raw, shredded cauliflower directly into the parchment packet we get to cook our entire dinner in one shot. Enjoy!
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced (save the fronds for garnish)
- 8 kalamata olive, pitted and sliced
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded cauliflower
- 4 (6oz) salmon fillets, skinless and boneless
- 8 lemon slices
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl combine the lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, olive oil and red pepper flakes.
- In a large bowl toss the fennel, olive and onion with the marinade.
- Cut four 12-by-16-inch pieces of parchment paper and fold each in half. Open the parchment paper and arrange ¼ of the cauliflower rice, a salmon fillet and ¼ of the fennel mixture and in the center of the top half of each parchment. Generously season with salt and pepper. Top with 2 slices of lemon and a sprinkle of fennel fronds.
- Fold the bottom half of the parchment paper over the salmon and veggies. Start folding and crimping the parchment paper ends together from one end all the way around to the other end, creating a sealed envelope. Fold the end under the packet. The packet should be fully encased, with no breaks in the parchment paper for steam to escape – we need that steam as part of the cooking process! Place the packets on a pan.
- Bake the salmon packets for 25 minutes and remove from the oven. Serve the packets on plates, tearing them open just before serving. Enjoy!