There are two phenomenal things about this recipe…1) It cooks in a slow cooker and 2) It’s brisket! I’ll never tire of slow cooker and brisket recipes 🙂
Adding veggies into the slow cooker, to cook right alongside the main meat dish, is one of my techniques for getting a completed dinner on the table in 10 minutes flat. This recipe is a prime example of a meal that takes only a handful of minutes in the morning, to get into the slow cooker, and then is hot and ready to enjoy when you get home in the evening.
My inspiration for this recipe came from a southern, comfort food truck that I encountered at a whimsical outdoor wedding in Temecula, CA last weekend. The groom, Rob (my friend and the uber talented guy responsible for all of my RHR recipe videos!) married his gorgeous bride, Regina, on a grassy hilltop overlooking the rolling landscape of Southern California’s wine country. The night was sweet and joy filled, and the brisket and roasted chicken were to-die-for.
While I’m sure the food truck’s brisket was marinated and slow cooked over hours or even days, I simply didn’t have that kind of time to recreate a mouthwatering brisket dinner for the family to enjoy later that week. I have a delicious brisket recipe that involves marinating overnight and cooking in the oven for hours, but these days I’m running the kids to club soccer, city soccer, school football, guitar, singing and piano lessons – so SLOW COOKER is the feasible, time-saving method.
Feel free to add different root vegetables of your choosing, or if your slow cooker is big enough, add another head of cabbage – this tender cabbage is amazing. Enjoy!
- 3 parsnips
- 3 golden beets
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 head, green cabbage
- 3 Tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1½ teaspoons chipotle chili
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 5 lb beef brisket
- 1 cup broth (chicken, veggie or beef)
- 1½ cups ketchup, no sugar added
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons coconut aminos
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- Coat the inside of the slow cooker with the olive oil. Cut the cabbage into quarters and then each quarter into quarters. Carefully place into the bottom of the slow cooker, keeping the cabbage pieces intact. Peel the parsnips and beets and cut into large pieces. Place on top of the cabbage.
- In a large bowl combine the coconut sugar, chipotle chili, cumin, celery salt, sea salt and black pepper. Rinse the brisket and pat dry. Add the brisket to the bowl of spices and rub the spices all over the brisket. Place the seasoned brisket on top of the veggies in the slow cooker, fat side up. Pour the broth into the slow cooker, over the brisket and veggies.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the ketchup, vinegar, coconut aminos, liquid smoke and onion. Mix well and pour over the brisket. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or until tender and cooked through. Remove the brisket from the slow cooker and thinly slice, then serve with the tender veggies and the sauce. Enjoy!