Refreshing! That is the first word that comes to mind when I take pause to remember the sensations that arose from a blissful bite of this salad.
With fresh baby spinach, tender caramelized onions, sweet juicy strawberries and crunchy sliced almonds, this salad is a minefield of pleasurable flavors. It’s the perfect way to celebrate the end of summer and the last of the strawberries.
(Ah, who am I kidding? Here in CA we have strawberries year round…but the flavor just isn’t the same in non-summer months. So eat your strawberries, quick!)
I can’t say enough about the flavor of this quicker-than-quick salad dressing. With golden balsamic vinegar (didya even know that stuff existed? It does. And it’s awesome) and fresh, minced tarragon this salad dressing lends a light, uplifting note to the dish.
Mini rant: STOP buying processed, gloopy salad dressings filled with less-than-quality ingredients!! Right now!! The taste of a simple, homemade salad dressing is miles and miles above that of the industrialized, bottled version. It costs less, it’s so quick to throw together, AND it’s much better for you. Check, Check, Check. Kapeesh?
This salad is so phenomenal that I’m making a triple batch for a party this weekend (along with this slow cooker chicken recipe) so you know it’s worth trying, but don’t be shocked when you get hooked 🙂 Enjoy!
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons golden balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon melted raw honey (OR 10 drops liquid stevia)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons fresh tarragon, minced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- dash of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 8 strawberries, sliced
- 2 avocados, pitted and cubed
- 2 Tablespoons sliced almonds
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk until fully combined, set aside.
- Place a small skillet over medium high heat. Add the olive oil and sliced onion. Cook for 8-10 minutes, adding a Tablespoon of water halfway through the cooking time. Once the water has evaporated and the onion is tender, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl toss the spinach with the Fresh Tarragon dressing. Top with the sliced strawberries, cubed avocado, sliced almonds, caramelized onions and a sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper. Serve immediately. Enjoy!