Don’t cha just love a hearty, homey meal? A meal that warms the house with a savory, love-filled aroma…a meal that fills your tummy and your heart.
It’s too bad that most soul tickling meals take hours and hours to prepare, require a bucket of patience and leave you with a sink full of dirty dishes. I don’t know about you, but I don’t have that kind of time on my hands – not even on the weekends.
This recipe for Slow Cooker Pot Roast, on the other hand, can be created from scratch in an hour flat, and then cooks away on it’s own in the slow cooker. I made this for Sunday dinner a couple of weekends ago, when I had exactly 90 minutes in between my son’s soccer games to get something in the slow cooker. I was able to do everything – from grocery shopping to prepping the ingredients for the slow cooker – in that small window of time and we made it back to game 2 with time to spare!
What sets this Pot Roast recipe apart from others is that 1) It is in the slow cooker, so you don’t have to be home while it cooks; 2) It simmers in gravy, which gives the roast and veggies great flavor; and 3) The large cut veggies cook with it, so you have a complete meal that’s ready-to-serve.
Stay tuned for a Thai Beef Salad recipe that uses up the roast leftovers…
- 1 (3-4lb) boneless chuck roast, trimmed
- 2½ teaspoons sea salt
- 1½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso
- 1 cup Marsala wine
- 2 cups broth (chicken, beef or veggie)
- 2 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 onion, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 3 parsnips, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 golden beets, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1 turnip, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 dried bay leaves
- Sear: Rinse the roast and pat dry. Rub on all sides with the sea salt, black pepper and coconut flour. Place the olive oil in a large pot over high heat, add the roast to the pan and sear on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer the roast to a large slow cooker.
- Gravy: Add the diced onion, carrot and celery to the dripping in the pot. Heat, covered, for 10 minutes. Uncover, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the tomato paste and Dijon, cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the coconut flour, cocoa powder and espresso powder, cook for another minute. Deglaze the pot with the Marsala. Add the broth and bring to a low simmer. Remove from the heat and use an immersion blender to blend the gravy ingredients until smooth. Set aside.
- Veggies: Add the carrots, onion, parsnips, beets and turnip to the slow cooker. Pour the gravy over the roast and veggies and add the thyme and bay leaves. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Remove the thyme stalks and bay leaves before serving. Enjoy!