Who doesn’t love Garlic Toast? It’s garlicky and toasty all at the same time. B found a plate of these one day while I was out of the house, and made fast business of them. Then I received a text with a picture of the half demolished plate with the caption, “Hope you got a picture of these.” Ha! I learned long ago not to leave food around without taking a glamour shot first.
Quick Tip: Going gluten- and grain-free is quite overwhelming at first. It’s hard not to focus on all of the things that you are giving up. Rather than focusing on the negatives of your new diet, zero in on all of the positives. Make a list of all the fresh, new, delicious, and exciting foods that you can enjoy. And then seek out grain-free versions of your old favorites . . . like Garlic Toast.
- Preheat the oven to 350 ̊F. Lightly grease a pie dish with coconut oil.
- Combine the coconut oil, eggs, and water in a bowl. Mix well.
- Combine the almond flour, coconut flour, arrowroot starch, baking soda, sea salt, and cream of tartar in another bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and mix well to form dough. Shape the dough into a ball. Wrap in plastic and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Cream the palm shortening together with the garlic and chives.
- Roll the dough flat between two pieces of parchment paper to form a large rectangle. Carefully remove the top parchment paper. Spread half of the garlic and chive mixture over the dough. Roll the dough up and slide a thin string under the dough and cross over the top. Pull both sides of the string to cleanly cut a slice of dough. Repeat with the rest of the dough roll.
- Place the rolls in the prepared pie dish. Bake for 20 minutes. Turn on the high broil and brown the tops for a couple of minutes at the end to get really crispy. Rub the remaining garlic and chive mixture over the tops of the toasts. Enjoy!