The further along that I get on my real food journey, the more clear it becomes that the very best dinners are created by simply combining a handful of high quality, real food ingredients.
There’s no need to over-complicate things with long lists of ingredients, additives, preservatives and artificial flavors. Sure, these additions help big food companies produce food products that have long shelf lives…but that doesn’t mean that it is good for us or even that it tastes genuinely good.
The simple Pork Lettuce Wrap recipe that I’ll share below really demonstrates my point. This recipe has only has a handful of key ingredients plus natural spices and flavors. It’s so easy to throw this recipe into the slow cooker before you head off to conquer the world in the morning, and then you’ll return home to the lovely smells of a nutritious, home cooked meal. Talk about satisfying!
I hope that you enjoy this simple, healthy dinner and that you too begin to appreciate the flavors and nutrition of simplistic, real food meals.
- 1 (3lb) boneless pork shoulder
- 10 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Tajin
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (4oz) can mild green chiles, diced
- 4 chipotle chiles canned in adobo sauce, plus 1 Tablespoon (or more!) of the sauce
- 2 heads of butter lettuce
- 1 mango, chopped
- ½ cup pico de gallo
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Place the pork shoulder in a large slow cooker. Rub all over with the garlic.
- Combine the cumin, oregano, sea salt, pepper and Tajin in a small bowl. Rub over the pork.
- In a medium bowl combine the orange juice, sliced onion and green chiles. Chop the chipotle chiles and add to the bowl with some adobo sauce. It’s pretty spicy, so be careful to add your desired amount. Pour this mixture over the pork.
- Cook on low heat for 8 hours.
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker and shred with 2 forks. Serve the pork on large butter lettuce leaves and top with chopped mango, pico de gallo and cilantro. Enjoy!