Let’s have a heart-to-heart . . . about noodles.
A big plate of warm noodles topped with creamy sauce is a classic comfort food. There’s the nostalgia of family dinners past coupled with the naughty, feel-good effect that accompanies a mouthful of starchy carbs. But let’s be honest, eating noodles—as comforting as it may be—is not something that we are able to do with a clear conscience.
As much as I’d love to serve noodle-filled dinners to my family, these dinners could put us on the fast track to obesity and health issues. But I wasn’t ready to give up on noodles just yet; there had to be a way to create healthy, delicious noodle dishes that would not only taste good and deliver comfort, but would be grain-free, fiber-filled, and easy to make.
This creamy, comforting dish is 100 percent grain-, gluten- and dairy-free, which you’ll find hard to believe when you dig into it. Remember to come up for air as you enjoy this tasty noodle dinner with zero guilt!
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3⁄4 tsp. garlic powder, divided
- 1 tsp. sea salt, divided
- 1⁄2 tsp. onion powder, divided
- 1⁄2 tsp. black pepper, divided
- 1⁄4 tsp. sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried basil
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1⁄4 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 heads broccoli
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. coconut flour
- 1 (13.66-oz.) can coconut milk, full fat
- 1⁄2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. mirin or white wine
- zucchini noodles
- Rinse the chicken breast and pat dry. Cut into 1-inch cubes. Gather the first amount of garlic powder, sea salt, onion powder, black pepper, and the sweet paprika, dried basil, dried oregano, dried thyme, and lemon. Juice and zest the lemon. Combine in a bowl and mix until the chicken pieces are evenly coated.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook for about 10 minutes, until there is no longer any pink in the chicken.
- Wash the broccoli and wipe the mushrooms. Chop the onions and broccoli. Slice the mushrooms. Place in a skillet with an inch of water. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Drain and set the cooked veggies aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the coconut oil over medium heat. Whisk in the coconut flour and continue to whisk until browned. Add the coconut milk, nutritional yeast, Dijon, mirin, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, and black pepper. Whisk frequently until the sauce begins to boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue whisking for 5 minutes, as the sauce thickens.
- Add the chicken to the sauce. Mix well. Arrange each plate with a pile of flat zucchini noodles, a spoonful of veggies, and a heaping scoop of the creamy chicken. Enjoy!