Most of the time pesto is made with fresh basil leaves, olive oil, garlic, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese and a dash of sea salt, but today we are making pesto with some very interesting ingredients. Charred jalapeños, cilantro and arugula are a fiery combination that completely wake up the taste buds!
While you may be tempted to purchase store-bought pesto, it’s really worth the minimal effort needed to make your own. Not only does homemade pesto taste SO MUCH better, you’re also able to make it dairy-free, by leaving out the Parmesan, and preservatives. And let’s be perfectly honest…throwing ingredients into a food processor is not what you’d call strenuous work. It’s pretty darn easy.
For a classic basil pesto try this simple dairy-free recipe: ½ cup raw walnuts, 3 cups fresh basil leaves, 4 garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon sea salt, ¼ cup olive oil, ½ cup nutritional yeast and 1 Tablespoon lemon juice. Combine in a food processor.
- 3 green jalapeños
- ½ cup pistachios, shelled
- 2 cups fresh cilantro
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- juice from 1 lime
- ⅓ cup broth (chicken or veggie)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- dash of sea salt and black pepper
- 4 organic zucchini –turned into noodles (Watch this Video to Learn How)
- Place the jalapeños on a grill pan over medium heat. Cook until evenly charred. Remove from heat and place in a paper bag. Fold the bag closed and leave for 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, rub off the skins with a paper towel, slice in half and remove the seeds.
- Place the pistachios in a small, dry skillet. Cook over medium heat until lightly toasted.
- Place the jalapeños, pistachios, arugula, oregano, garlic, cumin, lime, broth, olive oil, sea salt and black pepper in a food processor. Pulse until creamy. Place the zucchini noodles in a large bowl and mix with the pesto. Enjoy!