Never mind that the weather has been hot and sunny – completely summer – I’m ready to start cooking up fall flavors! This flavorful and simple recipe beckons fall to emerge. Come brisk air and swirling leaves; come cozy sweaters and cute boots!
You’ll be hard pressed to find a simpler way to prepare fresh butternut squash as a hearty, satisfying dinner than this. The flavors of the butternut squash blend perfectly with savory sausage and earthy kale. Serve hot and enjoy the leftovers chilled the next day – the flavors intensify overnight. Enjoy!
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, loose
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cups butternut squash, cubed
- ¼ cup dry, white wine
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, destemmed and chopped
- Place a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the sausage and cook for 5 minutes, breaking it up into small pieces. Once the pink is gone, push the sausage to the sides of the pan, leaving a clear cooking area in the center.
- Add the olive oil to the center of the pan. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add the butternut squash, wine, garlic, marjoram and half of the chicken broth. Cook for 5 minutes, until the squash is tender.
- Add the destemmed, chopped kale and mix all of the contents of the skillet together. Top with the remaining chicken broth, cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes, until the kale is cooked and tender. Serve and enjoy!