I used to LOVE getting crispy orange chicken from our old favorite Chinese take-out restaurant, and sometimes would even get frozen crispy orange chicken from the store to cook up for a quick dinner. While those traditional orange chicken dishes tasted great they were filled with gluten, sugar, soy and unhealthy fats.
So I created this recipe for crispy orange chicken with zero gluten, sugar or soy. It is sweetened with fruit-only orange juice concentrate and zero-calorie Stevia.
This dish is really quick to throw together for a weeknight dinner, and tastes so good you won’t believe it’s healthy. As a bonus you won’t get that big belly ache like with the take-out version.
**NOTE: I have 2 recipes for Crispy Orange Chicken (both recipes are below!)
- Crispy Orange Chicken Version #1: This recipe is quicker and doesn’t involve battering the chicken. It’s featured in the video below and is quite simple to throw together. Oh and it tastes awesome, naturally 😉
- Crispy Orange Chicken Version #2: This recipe takes a little bit longer since we are going to batter our chicken first. It’s featured in my Recipe Hacker Cookbook and it definitely the more indulgent (ahhhmazing) of the two.
Try either version of this delicious chicken dish served alongside some Shiitake Stir Fried (Cauliflower) Rice. Yum!
The video above shows how to make Crispy Orange Chicken Version #1 (not battered)
- ½ cup orange juice concentrate (no sugar added)
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Zest from one orange
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Dash red pepper flakes
- 2 packets Stevia
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken thigh, cut into bite sized pieces
- Dash salt and pepper
- Dash granulated onion
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Combine the orange juice concentrate, coconut aminos, olive oil, orange zest, red pepper flakes and Stevia in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the coconut oil on medium-high.
- Generously season the chicken pieces with salt, pepper and granulated onion. Add chicken to hot skillet and brown on all sides.
- When chicken is almost fully cooked, add the orange sauce, stirring to coat all of the chicken. Cook, uncovered, simmering the sauce until thickened and fully sticking to the chicken.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and freshly chopped green onion.
And here’s the recipe for Crispy Orange Chicken Version #2 (battered!) and found in The Recipe Hacker Cookbook.
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 egg
- ½ cup arrowroot starch
- 3 Tablespoons coconut flour
- ½ cup frozen orange juice concentrate, no sugar added
- 3 Tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 orange, zest
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon stevia powder
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- dash of sea salt and black pepper
- dash of onion powder
- 2 green onions
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
- Combine the egg, chicken broth, arrowroot starch and coconut flour in a bowl to form a batter. Mix well.
- Combine the orange juice concentrate, coconut aminos, olive oil, orange zest, garlic cloves and stevia in another bowl.
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Trim the fat and cut into bite sized pieces. Gather the coconut oil and a dash of sea salt, black pepper and onion powder. Toss the chicken pieces with the spices.
- Mix the chicken pieces into the batter. Mix to evenly coat. Place the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the battered chicken pieces. Cook until evenly golden.
- Add the orange mixture to the skillet. Bring to a simmer and continue to cook as the sauce thickens, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat. Sprinkle each serving with a Tablespoon of green onions and a pinch of sesame seeds. Enjoy!