The secret to attaining and maintaining a healthy, lean body is to consistently enjoy vegetable+protein centric meals. This means learning to find satisfaction in 100% vegetable noodles under your spaghetti sauce, in tender shredded cauliflower as rice, and in large lettuce leaves as tortillas.
It also means having a bit of an imagination.
Does this taco salad have tortilla strips, cheese and regular sour cream? Uh, no it doesn’t. But what it does have is authentic taco salad flavors that are served up in a low carb, high fiber kind of way. You know, the kind of eating that effortlessly reduces body fat while supplying your body with all kinds of natural vitamins and minerals.
Imagine how you’d look and feel if 90% of your meals were centered around vegetables and protein like this one! And think about all of the amazing healthful benefits that your body would enjoy as the result of such wholesome eating habits!
The great news for all of us is that eating this way is not only simple and doable, but it’s also DELICIOUS! It feels so fantastic to feed your body the food that it was designed to thrive on…give this recipe a try and you’ll feel it too.
Note: Instead of dairy-based sour cream I used this simple recipe for coconut milk sour cream.
- 1lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 1 large cucumber, chopped
- 4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, greens only, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, minced
- 1 bunch radishes, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1 avocado
- dollop of coconut sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons chives, chopped
- dash of Tajin
- Preheat your grill or grill pan. Wash the chicken and pat dry. In a small bowl combine all of the spices. Rub the spice mixture on the raw chicken breasts and sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper. Grill until cooked through. Chop once the breasts are cool enough to handle.
- Combine the cucumber, tomatoes, cilantro, green onions, bell peppers, red onion and radishes in a large bowl. In a small bowl combine the lime juice, cumin, chili powder and a dash of sea salt and black pepper. Mix well and chill until ready to use, or up to 12 hours.
- Plate each salad with a layer of mixed greens, a serving of the marinated veggies, chicken, chopped avocado, a dollop of coconut sour cream and a sprinkle of chives and Tajin. Enjoy!