The very first recipe that ever hacked was for an Orange Julius when I was 9 years old. It was cold, frothy and filled with refined white sugar…I can remember it like it was yesterday. The excitement of being able to use the blender without supervision. The thrill of recreating the same sweet drink that I liked to purchase at the mall. The fun of sharing that creation with my brother, Pete.
I guess you never forget your first recipe hack 🙂
These days I feel that same excitement when creating treats that are wholesome and nutritious, but taste downright naughty. Like my sinful-tasting recipe for Grain-Free Cinnamon Rolls…and my scandalous recipe for Real Healthy Snickers Bars…and my indulgent recipe for Chocolate Glazed Donuts.
Today I’m debuting my newest sinful recipe for Almond Roca Cookies and I really hope that you get the chance to taste these. No, there isn’t any actual Almond Roca in the cookies, but between the sliced almonds, chocolate and the caramel-y taste of the dates, the overall experience reminded me of biting into an Almond Roca 🙂 Enjoy!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the pecans over a baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes (no need to wait until the oven has reached 350, just pop the pan in and let the pecans toast as the oven heats up.)
- Place the dates in a cup of hot water, and allow to soak for 10 minutes. Drain the water off.
- Once the pecans are cool enough to handle, place in a food processor and pulse until finely ground. Add the dates, almond flour, coconut flour, salt, coconut sugar, coconut oil and egg. Pulse until all of the ingredients combine in a soft cookie dough.
- Chop the sliced almonds into small pieces. Place in a shallow bowl. Place the mini chocolate chips in another small bowl. Roll the cookie dough into 12 balls. Roll each ball around in the chopped almonds and flatten into a cookie shape. Press the cookie into the mini chocolate chips. Sprinkle some chips on top of the cookie as well, and press into the dough.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the cookies on the sheet and bake for 12 minutes. Allow to cool before serving and store in the fridge or freezer. Enjoy!