Zucchini Loaf

Zucchini loaf paleo recipe

This grain+gluten-free Zucchini Loaf is sweet and moist.

I have a major pet peeve about zucchini recipes…somehow there’s this misconception that any baked good that contains zucchini is automatically healthy.

That’s just not true!!!

Traditional baked good recipes that contain wheat flour, refined sugar and butter do not become healthy once some shredded zucchini is sprinkled into the batter. Yes, the zucchini is a wonderful, nutritious addition, but if your batter is made of unhealthy ingredients then don’t fool yourself into thinking that it’s guilt-free.

What makes this recipe healthier?

• Well, for starters I use almond flour rather than wheat flour. This removes the harmful gluten and reduces the carbohydrate count.
  • It’s sweetened with banana, dates and some raw honey rather than refined sugar. This makes a slice of this zucchini bread lower in sugar and lower on the glycemic index — meaning that your blood sugar is not going to spike like it would with traditional baked goods, making you far less likely to go into fat storage mode.
  • The fat used is coconut oil, rather than butter, which increases digestion and helps to absorb fat-soluble vitamins.

The cool thing is that even without all the traditional, harmful ingredients, this bread turns out moist, sweet and totally delectable — just like the regular zucchini bread that your grandma makes. I love finding simple ways to improve the nutrition of recipes like this without losing out on flavor and consistency.

I’ll show you the step-by-step of making Zucchini Loaf in the video below. Give it a try and let me know what you think. Enjoy!

Zucchini Loaf

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cover the bottom of a loaf pan with parchment paper and lightly coat the bottom and sides with coconut oil.
  2. In a large bowl combine the almond flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
  3. In another large bowl combine the eggs, honey, vanilla, banana and coconut oil.
  4. Add the dry ingredient to the wet ones and mix well. Add the grated zucchini, chopped dates and chopped pecans and mix until fully combined.
  5. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth out the top. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until fully set. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before removing from the loaf pan and slicing. Store leftover slices in the fridge. Enjoy!

Calories: 159     Fat: 11 g     Carbohydrates: 10 g     Sugar: 7 g     Sodium: 258 mg     Fiber: 2 g     Protein: 6 g
Zucchini loaf paleo recipe

This is my favorite way to use up garden fresh zucchini!

Comments

• Lisen March 27, 2015 at 9:20 pm

Hello, my daughter is allergic to Almonds, what can I use instead please? X

• Diana March 29, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Hi Lisen,
      You could use ground, gluten-free oats or ground, unsalted sunflower seeds in a 1-1 ratio to almond flour. Enjoy!

• Cory tout March 28, 2015 at 7:52 am

can I partially substitute almond flour with coconut flour plus Oat flour

• Diana March 29, 2015 at 7:12 pm

Hi Cory,
      The oat flour can be used 1:1 for the almond flour, but coconut flour is a little trickier. There isn’t an exact equation, but coconut flour absorbs roughly 3-4xs the liquid that almond flour does, so you use 1/3-1/4 coconut flour vs almond or oat flour. You could certainly play around with substitution amounts. Enjoy!

• AJ March 28, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Tastes so good. Thanks for sharing.

• isabella April 6, 2015 at 3:39 pm

This is a delicious recipe! Thank you for sharing!

• Nikki April 7, 2015 at 2:57 am

Is there a substitution that can be used instead of the banana? I can’t have banana, but this recipe sounds delicious! Thanks in advance!!

• Diana April 13, 2015 at 10:53 pm

Hi Nikki you can try ½ cup of unsweetened applesauce. Happy Cooking!

• Melanie Palmer July 8, 2015 at 1:22 am

Very yummy! I might be weird with combining foods but I think this goes well with spaghetti squash and shrimp. I put my zucchini loaves in three mini pans so I had three mini loaves, I loved them 🙂

• Diana August 28, 2016 at 2:16 am

Hi
    I have a request. I am currently on the SCD diet. I have found out that I am allergic to eggs and dairy, which makes baking SCD loaf bread and flat bread difficult. I was wondering if you can try to make an SCD bread or wrap without eggs. It would mean so much to me and other SCDers who suffer from the same allergies. Please let me know if you have any advice.