Chocolate Muffins

Paleo chocoalte muffin recipe

Take one bite of these chocolatey muffins and you’ll find it hard to believe that these are refined sugar free…and filled with nutritious beets!

Ah yes, another chocolate recipe 🙂

Is there anything better than a biting into a moist, chocolate-y muffin? No, no there’s not.

These Chocolate Muffins remind me of those giant, fluffy chocolate muffins from Costco — muffins as big as your head and dotted with chocolate chips. Yum….and belly ache.

This Chocolate Muffin recipe, which is excerpted from my new cookbook The Recipe Hacker, is filled with nutritious ingredients rather than the grains and refined sugar in those Costco chocolate muffins. The secret ingredient is pureed beets. It’s a nutritious addition that adds natural sweetness, nutrients and really increases the moistness factor. Enjoy!

Chocolate Muffins

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.
  2. Combine the dark chocolate, coconut oil and honey in a small pot, and place in a medium skillet in an inch of water. Place over medium heat. Stir often until the chocolate mixture becomes smooth.
  3. Combine the melted chocolate mixture, eggs, vanilla extract, almond extract and beets in a food processor. Pulse until smooth.
  4. Combine the almond flour, coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and sea salt in a medium bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones in the food processor. Pulse until smooth.
  5. Mix the chocolate chips into the batter with a large spoon. Fill each muffin tin with batter. Bake for 20 minutes, or until baked through. Serve with a sprinkle of unsweetened, shredded coconut. Share with an unsuspecting friend and harrumph when they accuse you of using refined sugar. Enjoy!

Calories: 258     Fat: 14 g     Carbohydrates: 30 g     Sugar: 22 g     Sodium: 378 g     Fiber: 7 g     Protein: 7 g

Chocolate Muffins in Recipe Hacker Book

Comments

• Michael Paletta March 28, 2015 at 2:27 pm

Hi There I have noticed in most of your recipes that they use a lot of nut based ingredients. What can you recommend for those that are allergic to nuts? Thanks

• Diana March 29, 2015 at 7:12 pm

Hi Michael,

You could use ground, gluten-free oats or ground, unsalted sunflower seeds in a 1-1 ratio to almond flour.Enjoy!

• Ruth March 29, 2015 at 2:37 am

Hey there! I can’t wait to make these muffins, When the recipe calls for 1 cup of dark chocolate, what does that mean exactly? Should I use 1 cup of pieces of a dark chocolate bar? Something else? Please let me know soon. 🙂
    Thanks! ~R

• isabella April 6, 2015 at 3:41 pm

These are amazing! I love that my sweet tooth can still be satisfied with all of your recipes! Thank you!

• Julie April 1, 2015 at 12:49 am

I cant wait to try these! I love so many of your recipes! Can you please explain what you mean by 1 c of chocolate? What do you use…..choc chips, pieces of dark chocolate bar? Thanks! Looking forward to trying it!

• Diana April 1, 2015 at 4:33 pm

Hi Julie, Thanks for the feedback! It’s 1 cup of chopped chocolate, either dark chocolate bar pieces or chocolate chips. Enjoy!

• Damaris April 10, 2015 at 12:57 pm

I want to use fresh beets. Can I just cook them until soft? How much do I need?

• Diana April 13, 2015 at 10:54 pm

Hi Damaris you can use cup of fresh beets in place of the 15 oz can. Happy Cooking!

• Marie February 1, 2016 at 12:10 am

Absolutely the best chocolate muffin I have ever tasted! Thank you for creating something healthy that actually tastes wonderful!