Coconut Sour Cream

Easy coconut sour cream recipe

Who knew that dairy-free sour cream was so easy to make? Wish I had known this ages ago!

Why did it take me so long to come up with a sour cream substitute? I can just imagine all of the meals that I would have garnished with this tasty stuff. Oy.

This recipe is super simple and taste SO MUCH like the real thing! If you’ve been avoiding dairy and really miss having that dollop of white creaminess then you’re going to be ecstatic with this one ๐Ÿ™‚

Coconut Sour Cream

1. Place the can of coconut milk in the fridge to chill overnight.
  2. Carefully turn the can upside down and use a can opener to remove the bottom of the can. Drain off the liquid (catch in a cup and use for something else) and scrape the thick coconut cream into a food processor or blender.
  3. Add the lemon juice, vinegar and sea salt. Blend until smooth. Taste and add more salt as desired. Keep chilled. Enjoy!

Calories: 59     Fat: 6 g     Carbohydrates: 1 g     Sodium: 32 mg     Fiber: 0 g     Protein: 0 g
Easy coconut sour cream recipe

Add a dollop of this simple, dairy free sour cream on all your favorite foods!

Comments

• louise R March 7, 2015 at 10:56 pm

Hi can you help me i am looking for a recipe for custard using coconut milk liked the backed milk custard , i use nothing but coconut milk as i don’t do dairy at all. i use all organic no gmo no soy and no gluten also i want to do the baked custard it i can just can’t find one rite now , thanks for all your recipes i save them all. weze

• Diana March 10, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Hi Louise,
      I do have a coconut milk custard recipe — from my new cookbook The Recipe Hacker http://therecipehacker.com/ Enjoy ๐Ÿ™‚

Creamy Custard
      Ingredients
      โ€ข 8 egg yolks
      โ€ข 1 cup raw honey
      โ€ข 1 Tablespoon coconut flour
      โ€ข 3 (13.66oz) cans coconut milk, full fat
      โ€ข 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
      โ€ข 1 lemon, zest
      1. Separate the yolks from the whites. Save the egg yolks. Combine the egg yolks and honey in a saucepan. Whisk together until smooth.

2. Add the coconut flour and mix in.

3. Combine the coconut milk, vanilla extract and lemon zest in a medium saucepan. Place the milk mixture over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat.

4. Pour the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture, stirring while you pour. Place the mixture on low heat, stirring constantly for 5 minutes. Donโ€™t boil, only simmer. Remove from heat and cool for a few minutes. Continue to stir occasionally as it cools. Once cooled to room temperature, pour into individual custard cups. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes or until serving. Garnish with fresh fruit and mint leaves. Enjoy!

• Suze May 23, 2015 at 2:59 am

What an awesome idea! I actually have a bunch of Tropical Traditions coconut cream… would that work instead of using a can of coconut milk? If so, could you guesstimate how much of it to use? I have no clue how much cream is in a can of coconut milk after draining off the liquid.

• Diana May 26, 2015 at 3:56 pm

Hi Suze, I’d use about 2/3 a cup of the coconut cream. Enjoy and thanks for commenting ๐Ÿ™‚

• Damien Aviles March 16, 2017 at 4:54 pm

Hi Diana,
    Just came across this and was reading the comments. Saw the custard comment… isn’t cheesecake a custard? Or Flan? How would you approach that?

• Diana March 16, 2017 at 6:11 pm

Hi Damien,

Cheesecake is a bit different than custard or flan because it usually contains cream cheese. Of course, there are always variations of ingredients.

Here are some cheesecake recipes, dairy-free, of course!

Enjoy! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Meghan June 23, 2017 at 1:58 pm

Can’t wait to try this! Was just wondering what you have it paired with in the picture-the foods look so yummy!

• Diana June 26, 2017 at 7:44 pm

Hi Meghan!

The photo features the Teriyaki Braised Short Ribs. It’s a perfect for summer time recipe because you don’t have to heat up the oven!

• Melvin July 14, 2017 at 6:18 pm

How long does it keep in the fridge?

• Diana July 24, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Hi Melvin,

Thanks for the question. I would feel comfortable leaving this in the fridge for about 2 weeks.

Hope this helps! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Jillian July 25, 2017 at 12:44 am

Can you use an immersion blender?

• Diana July 25, 2017 at 5:36 pm

Hi Jillian,

Thanks for your question.

An immersion blender should work just fine. Let me know how it turns out! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Carol July 27, 2017 at 8:45 pm

I LOVE YOU! This is amazing and dare I say, lifechanging. I’m a happy customer. Thanks!

• Diana July 28, 2017 at 4:09 pm

Hi Carol,

Thank you so much for your kinds words! I love hearing feedback from happy customers!

Have a wonderful weekend! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Rose Barile August 2, 2017 at 7:30 pm

I used organic coconut cream minus the liquid. I figured it would be creamy and less watery. It tastes great yet it’s not as thick in consistency as pictured. What can be done differently?

• Diana August 3, 2017 at 8:49 pm

Hi Rose! Thanks for the question. Try refrigerating the can overnight. You will get a thicker consistency! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Lupe September 13, 2017 at 6:51 pm

I was excited to try this. However it tastes so much of coconut I feel like I’m eating a glob of Coppertone. Great for piรฑa coladas, not for carnitas. I followed the recipe exactly and got- tanning butter. No Bueno.

• Diana October 2, 2017 at 5:22 pm

Hi Lupe,

Thanks for your comment. I’m sorry to hear you did not like the coconut flavor! What kind of coconut milk did you use? I am very partial to Thai Kitchen Organic – canned, full fat