I love chicken recipes that add loads of flavor, like this Chicken Fajita Casserole. Cuz let’s face it, bland and tasteless chicken is not very exciting. By using a strong combination of spices and some gluten free beer, this chicken dish is brimming with amazing flavor. (It’s also super nutritious, but shhhh, the kids don’t need to know that.)
There are a few different ways that I like to modify this recipe, depending on how much time I have…
To save time: If you’re making this dish right before you serve it, then to save time you can mix the chicken, veggies together, hot from the skillet, add the crispy tortilla strips and serve immediately without putting it all in the oven. Just be sure that your chicken has cooked through completely while in the skillet.
If you have extra time: It’s delicious to mix in a sprinkle of Cashew Cheese when combining all of the ingredients in the casserole dish, then cover with foil and bake as instructed below. This adds another layer of flavor and makes it a little heartier.
Another delicious way to enjoy this recipe is to serve it like traditional fajitas, keeping the Coconut Flour Tortillas whole and wrapping the chicken and veggies up. Serve with a dollop of salsa and guacamole. Enjoy!
- 8 coconut flour tortillas
- Olive oil spray
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bottle gluten-free beer
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- Salsa and lime wedges for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cut the tortillas into 1 inch-wide strips, coat with olive oil spray and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until crispy, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven, reduce the heat to 375 and move a rack to the center.
- Combine the spices in a small bowl. Rub over the chicken and season with salt and pepper.
- Place 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the chicken and sear on each side. Add the beer and cook to reduce, until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Place another skillet over high heat. Add the remaining 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Add the bell peppers, onion and garlic. Cook until the veggies are tender, about 4 minutes. Add the chopped cilantro and lime juice. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Remove from heat.
- In a casserole dish, combine the chicken with the onions and peppers and toss in the tortilla strips. Cover with foil and bake for 20-30 minutes. Garnish with lime wedges and salsa. Enjoy!