Bacon Wrapped Peppers

Dairy free bacon wrapped peppers

These savory peppers are dairy free and ahhmazingly tasty!

The biggest game day of the year is nearly here! (That’s the Superbowl, next Sunday, for those of you who are even more clueless when it comes to sports than I am..lol)

From what I hear, the Seahawks and Patriots are going to duke it out and most of the world is going to join in as armchair quarterbacks, with their hands in the chip bowl. While I’m a subpar sports fan, I did grow up in Seattle, which makes this game a teensy-weensy bit more interesting.

Superbowl parties are when many people put down their New Year’s resolution to eat better, throw caution to the wind and plow through bowls of salty, crunchy, grain-filled snacks. Yes, those cute football-shaped cheetos taste good, but on Monday morning you’re going to wake up feeling bloated and yucky. Soooo, I have a better plan for you.

I thought this would be the perfect time to share an excerpt from my new cookbook, The Recipe Hacker, for the ultimate game day snack that tastes really naughty, without the food hangover. Now if you chase these Bacon Wrapped Peppers with a 6-pack of beer, then I can’t help you with that hangover 🙂

The Recipe Hacker excerpt

Out of the pages of The Recipe Hacker…

Bacon Wrapped Peppers

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Slice the peppers in half, lengthwise. Scoop out and discard the seeds. Fill each pepper with Dairy-Free Cheese Spread.
  3. Wrap each pepper with a slice of bacon. Secure with a toothpick.
  4. Place the wrapped peppers in a single layer on the prepared baking pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes, and then place under the broiler on high for 2 minutes, until lightly browned. Enjoy!

Calories: 72     Fat: 6 g     Carbohydrates: 2 g     Sodium: 91 mg     Fiber: .5 g     Protein: 3 g

If you liked this recipe, then you may want to pick up a copy of The Recipe Hacker

The recipe hacker book

Available on Amazon.com and in bookstores worldwide

Comments

• Nancy Cleaver January 27, 2015 at 5:42 am

Your recipies are the bomb! I have your cook book and am wearing it out!!!

• Diana January 29, 2015 at 9:37 pm

Thanks Nancy, I’m so glad you’re enjoying my cookbook 🙂

• Sheryl January 27, 2015 at 6:02 am

Diana, I love quite a few of your recipes in the Recipe Hacker, and can’t wait to try a few more. I do want to suggest though that processed meats and ground beef don’t seem much like “real food”. But you’ve got a good start.

• Diana February 3, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Hi Sheryl,

Thanks for your feedback, Sheryl, real healthy food can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people. I’m just happy to share the recipes and foods that I love to eat with the world. Happy Cooking 🙂

• Caryl Rohlfing January 27, 2015 at 6:54 am

I’m allergic to eggs. Is there a good substitute? Especially in your bread recipe, or tacos. I have your book, but can’t eat
    Eggs. Thank you.

• Diana January 29, 2015 at 9:38 pm

Hi Caryl,
      You can sub out 1 egg in baking for 1 Tablespoon of flax meal mixed with 3 Tablespoons of water. Let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes to thicken, then add to the batter as you would an egg. Hope that helps! Enjoy 🙂

• Diana February 3, 2015 at 5:16 pm

Hi Caryl,

To replace 1 egg in baking, whisk together 1 Tablespoon of flax meal with 3 Tablespoons of water. You can try this substitute, I have not tried it but it should work fine. Happy Cooking 🙂

• Melissa January 27, 2015 at 7:17 am

Caryl,
    I´m having some egg sensitivities these days and I´ve found that it depends on how many eggs the recipe calls for. All the breads in the book call for 4 to 6 eggs and I think in that case it´s too many to substitute and have it turn out like it should. The fewer eggs the recipe needs the better. I´ve used in recipes that only ask for one egg, a mixture of ground chia seeds and ground flax seed with a little water and let it sit for a minute. It makes a kinda egg-y thickening like agent as a binder. You could experiment with this and try subbing for 2 eggs but I wouldn´t try it for a 6 egg recipe. There is a bread recipe on the website for pineapple zucchini bread that has no egg, only egg substitute. I did this and it turned out a bit soggy but only because it didn´t say to squeeze out the water from the zucchini (and pineapple bits should be as dry as possible too). I noticed too the flatbread has only one egg I think, take a look. I think you could do these ones! Hope this helps!

• Diana January 29, 2015 at 9:40 pm

Thanks for sharing, Melissa! I have made the flat bread without eggs, when cooking for a vegan friend, and it turns out fine without even adding any flax. So that’s an option for you 🙂