As the holidays begin to wrap themselves up, and with the New Year on the horizon, my cooking becomes lighter and more veggie-filled. January is my favorite month for cleansing, after the indulgences of December, and most often I try to get an early start.
This Veggie Pesto Scramble recipe is one of my favorite, flavorful breakfasts. It’s filled with fiber and veggies, and contains a nice serving of protein. It can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch OR dinner, so scramble it up when you’re ready to feel a little lighter. Enjoy!
- ½ cup walnuts
- 2-3 cups basil leaves
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 organic zucchini, halved and sliced
- 2 Tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 2 organic eggs
- Toast the walnuts in a toaster oven for a few minutes — watch closely, they go from browned to black very quickly.
- Combine the walnuts, basil, garlic and salt in a food processor, add the olive oil, then the nutritional yeast and lemon juice. Combine until your pesto is a nice consistency — don’t over blend.
- Place the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced zucchini and cook for 5 minutes, until soft. Add the onions, chives and a Tablespoon of pesto.
- In a small bowl whisk the eggs. Add to the skillet and cook until just set. Enjoy immediately!