Peaches, plums and nectarines are overly abundant here in Southern CA, and hopefully where you are too. While I love making a simple, sweet fruit compote with these late summer treasures, fruit crisp is always my first choice.
Before I started to pay attention to the ingredients I was using in my cooking, I’d cream together margarine, brown sugar and oats for the crisp topping and I’d mix cane sugar in with the chopped fruit. Then I’d top the whole thing with vanilla ice cream. Tasty, but quite heavy!
To replace the dairy, grains and cane sugar here I used coconut oil, coconut palm sugar, almond flour, sliced almonds and chopped pecans. Then we top it off with coconut milk vanilla ice cream. Yum-o!
Sound good? Let’s get started…
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- ¾ cup coconut palm sugar
- ⅔ cup blanched almond flour
- ¾ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- Dash of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a casserole pan with coconut oil.
- In a medium sized bowl combine all of the topping ingredients and mix until well combined.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the fruit ingredients. Mix until well combined. Pour the fruit into the prepared casserole pan. Sprinkle the topping over the top of the fruit.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 5 minutes, until golden. Serve warm with a scoop of coconut milk ice cream. Enjoy!