This Sunshine Breakfast Salad really hit the spot after a day spent wine tasting with friends. It’s refreshing, filled with fiber and yet still quite satisfying with lots of protein. Perfect for summer!
I highly recommend boiling a whole bunch of eggs, baking a bunch of bacon, and caramelizing a couple of red onions. That way you’ll have the ingredients on hand to make Sunshine salads the rest of the week with virtually zero prep time. Enjoy!
- 1 strip nitrate-free bacon
- 1 egg, hard boiled
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ cup red onion, sliced
- 2 cups butter lettuce, torn
- 2 Tablespoons walnuts
- Set the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and place the bacon in a single layer. Place in the oven (don’t worry that the oven hasn’t reached 400 yet) and set the timer for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, drain off the grease and chop.
- Place the egg (or eggs since hard boiled eggs are always great to have in the fridge for on-the-go snacks) in a pot of water. Slowly bring the water to a boil over medium heat. Cover and remove from heat. Leave it for 12 minutes, then run under cool water and peel. Slice the peeled egg.
- In a small skillet heat the olive oil. Add the sliced onion. Sauté until soft and caramelized.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Arrange the butter lettuce over a plate. Add the walnuts, onion, chopped bacon and sliced egg. Serve with a drizzle of the dressing. Enjoy!