Banana Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins

Mini Banana Chocolate chip muffin recipeWhy, why, why do gluten-free muffins have such a bad rap?

I’ll tell you why: because most gluten free muffins look and taste like cardboard. That’s the God’s honest truth.

Last Saturday in San Diego, I stopped by a cute little cafe to grab an early morning coffee before hitting the gym, and (of course) couldn’t help admiring the pastry display. The muffins, donuts, pastries and cookies looked ah-mazing.

And then I saw it.

A sad little platter in the back corner of the display labeled ‘gluten-free muffins’. Oh boy these muffins were a sorry sight, looking more like discs than muffins, as there was nothing fluffy about the tops. It looked like cardboard. Gross, dense, choke-it-down cardboard.

Ugh. No thanks.

I don’t know which gluten-free flour was used in those desolate muffins, but I doubt that it was grain free, refined sugar free and gluten free. Just flavor and fluffiness free.

Those sad little muffins haunted me over the next few days. I had to prove to myself, and to the world, that it was possible to make fluffy, make-your-mouth-water, delicate, flavorful muffins…without gluten, grains, dairy or refined sugar. I knew it could be done.

This recipe for Banana Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins took shape in my mind, and turned out even more make-your-mouth-water than I had hoped.

Eat one of these babies while still warm from the oven to experience just how delightful gluten free muffins can really be.

Banana Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins

Crumb Topping

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 24 mini muffin tin with paper liners.
  2. In a medium bowl combine the almond flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl mash the bananas. Add the egg, coconut palm sugar and melted coconut oil.
  3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones. Mix until fully combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
  4. In a separate bowl combine the topping ingredients.
  5. Fill each muffin tin to the top with batter. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with the crumb topping.
  6. Bake for 15 minutes. Enjoy!

Serving size: 1 Muffin     Calories: 117     Fat: 8     Carbohydrates: 10     Sugar: 2     Sodium: 124     Fiber: 1     Protein: 2

Mini Banana Chocolate chip muffin recipe

Comments

• conor June 25, 2014 at 11:07 pm

Hi Diana,

I can only get Almond meal here in Ireland, is that the same as almond flour, or will it not work in the recipe.

Conor

• Diana June 29, 2014 at 5:37 am

Hi Conor,
      Yes, same amount of almond meal as you would almond flour. Also you could make your own blanched almond flour by grinding blanched almonds in a food processor. Enjoy!

• Humairah July 9, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Hi Diana
    Can I replace egg with flaxmeal for someone with egg allergies?

• Diana July 31, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Hi Humairah,

Yes 1 Tablespoon of Flax meal with 3 Tablespoons of water will be the equivalent of 1 egg. Have a great day and Enjoy!

• Lisa Spears July 14, 2014 at 6:05 pm

making these right now. The batter was great, and they smell great. I didn’t get how you can sprinkle the topping it has oil in it, am I missing something? mine don’t look like yours, but the smell great.

• Lisa Spears July 14, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Mine seems to have to much moisture, maybe 1 to many bananas. They didn’t rise, but kind-of sunk in the middle. They are done. They are still very good.

• Maria May 9, 2015 at 8:36 pm

Could i just skip the sugar since bananas are so sweet or will this mess with the formula?

• Diana May 11, 2015 at 5:27 pm

Hi Maria,
      You could leave out the coconut sugar if you prefer. Enjoy!

• Maria May 19, 2015 at 5:43 pm

Seriously fantastic and a family hit. Good texture for a grain free muffin. I omitted the sugar in the batter and they were plenty sweet enough without it.

• Vanessa August 14, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Absolutly delicious!!! Just curious though… how do i keep the center from falling??

• Vanessa August 14, 2015 at 6:31 pm

• Diana August 17, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Hi Vanessa,

If the center is falling I’d let it bake a little bit longer. Enjoy! Happy Cooking!!

• Elin Follin November 2, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Mine rose nicely…and then sunk again during the last 5 minutes of cooking (not just in the middle)! When they came out they were still very dense, moist and crumbly, wouldn’t stay together properly. Cooking them for longer didn’t help.. I was worried it would spike the blood sugar levels of my 3-year old son with diabetes type 1 but it didn’t and he loved them so please help us make them perfect! I had my oven on 175 deg C which should be equivalent?

• Kendra February 1, 2016 at 4:52 pm

I followed your recipe exactly (except I used regular muffins and didn’t use the paper liners) and they sunk in the middle and were very wet and liquid-ish towards the bottom. Cooked 15 min and pulled them out then decided about 10 min later to stick back in the oven for 5 min. Still the same. Any advice?