I’ll tell you why: because most gluten free muffins look and taste like cardboard. That’s the God’s honest truth.
Last Saturday in San Diego, I stopped by a cute little cafe to grab an early morning coffee before hitting the gym, and (of course) couldn’t help admiring the pastry display. The muffins, donuts, pastries and cookies looked ah-mazing.
And then I saw it.
A sad little platter in the back corner of the display labeled ‘gluten-free muffins’. Oh boy these muffins were a sorry sight, looking more like discs than muffins, as there was nothing fluffy about the tops. It looked like cardboard. Gross, dense, choke-it-down cardboard.
Ugh. No thanks.
I don’t know which gluten-free flour was used in those desolate muffins, but I doubt that it was grain free, refined sugar free and gluten free. Just flavor and fluffiness free.
Those sad little muffins haunted me over the next few days. I had to prove to myself, and to the world, that it was possible to make fluffy, make-your-mouth-water, delicate, flavorful muffins…without gluten, grains, dairy or refined sugar. I knew it could be done.
This recipe for Banana Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins took shape in my mind, and turned out even more make-your-mouth-water than I had hoped.
Eat one of these babies while still warm from the oven to experience just how delightful gluten free muffins can really be.
- 1½ cups blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup coconut palm sugar
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 24 mini muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl combine the almond flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl mash the bananas. Add the egg, coconut palm sugar and melted coconut oil.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones. Mix until fully combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- In a separate bowl combine the topping ingredients.
- Fill each muffin tin to the top with batter. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with the crumb topping.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Enjoy!