Real Healthy White Cake

Best gluten free birthday cake recipe

This pretty cake is gluten+nut+dairy free! Tastes delicious too.

Here’s the awesome new cake recipe that I made for my birthday yesterday!

(If you haven’t checked it out yet, my 50% Off Birthday sale runs out Friday at midnight!)

Most birthday cakes are filled with white flour, white sugar, butter and corn syrup. And many gluten free birthday cake recipes contain nuts.

This perfected, basic vanilla cake recipe and frosting is 100% grain-free and nut free, and is truly a delicious alternative to traditional cake. And the frosting pattern is really pretty and not to hard at all to do. Just takes a dose of patience to make and smear all of the frosting dots 🙂

Best gluten free cake recipe

The trick to this gorgeous frosting pattern is to make large dots of frosting and then smear them with a flat knife. Repeat this pattern of dotting and smearing until the entire cake is covered. So pretty!

Best gluten free cake recipe

A simple filling of fruit-only strawberry jam adds nice color and sweet fruit flavor.

I hope that you and your loved ones enjoy this celebratory cake and frosting recipe as much as mine did. Enjoy!

Real Healthy White Cake

For the Cake:
For the Frosting:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 8 inch round cake pans and cut out 2 circles of parchment paper to cover the bottoms of the pans.
  2. Combine the dry cake ingredients in a medium bowl. Pulse the eggs, oil, honey and vanilla in a food processor. Add the dry ingredients and pulse until fully combined. Divide the batter between the two prepared pans and bake for 20 minutes. Allow to cool.
  3. Combine the frosting ingredients in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
  4. Place one of the cake circles on your cake plate. Spread the strawberry jam over the top. Top with the remaining cake circle.
  5. Cover the entire cake with a very thin layer of frosting. Place the remaining frosting in a piping bag with a Wilton #12 tip.
  6. Apply a row of large frosting dots to the side of the cake. Take a butter knife or Popsicle stick and carefully press into the middle of each dot and smear to the side. Apply another row of dots in the middle of the smeared frosting and continue smearing and dotting until the entire cake is frosted.
  7. Keep the frosted cake in the fridge. This will keep the frosting firm and secure.

Serving size: 1/24 of the Cake     Calories: 325     Fat: 26     Carbohydrates: 18     Sugar: 10     Sodium: 135     Fiber: 3     Protein: 5
Best gluten free cake recipe

I like to dress this pretty cake up with fresh flowers!

Best gluten free cake recipe

Comments

• marg April 11, 2014 at 12:41 am

your design sure looks pretty but are you sure 12 eggs? This seems like allot for two 8 in cakes, unless this is a sponge type cake . is this yoke and whites, or just yoke?
    Is it a heavy dense cake, as it looks good to carve into shapes.
    Thanks
    Marg

• Diana April 11, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Hi Marg,
      Yes it is alot of eggs, but it’s for 2 full rounds. Full eggs, not just whites or yolks. The cake does turn out fairly dense and sturdy. It’s tasty 🙂 Enjoy!

• Lynn Desocio April 11, 2014 at 1:22 am

Really like what I’m seeing for deserts , but being someone allergic to almonds, the almond flour and any other almond ingredient I couldn’t use is there a substitute instead

• Diana April 11, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Thanks Lynn, glad you’re enjoying my recipes 🙂 Ground sunflower seeds can be used 1:1 for almond flour, and also ground gluten-free oats can be used 1:1. Hope that helps!

• Nawaal April 14, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Love the recipe but would like to replace egg, as myself and both my daughters are allergic…what is the best substitute?

• Diana April 14, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Thanks Nawaal! My favorite way to sub for eggs in baking is to whisk 1 Tablespoon of flax meal with 3 Tablespoons of water. Let it sit for a few minutes and then mix into the batter as you would 1 egg. Now, since this recipe has so many eggs, I don’t know if using this sub 12 times would end up with the same consistency. It’s worth a try though! Then there’s also the potato starch egg replacement option that is sold as health food markets. It’s sold as a powder and you mix it with water. Hope that helps. Enjoy!

• Karen May 3, 2014 at 10:41 pm

Hi Diana. I’ve just made the cake and it looks great but my icing is liquidy. I’ve put it in the fridge but it still hasn’t hardened up. I used coconut oil instead of palm shortening because I can’t find that in rural Alberta and I’ve read online they they are interchangeable. What can I do to thicken it? Add more arrowroot powder?

• Karen May 4, 2014 at 8:36 pm

After 3 hours in the fridge the liquidy icing turned from a cream colour to a bright white but was rock solid. I finally got the icing to the right thickness by having it on the counter overnight. My cake looks almost as pretty as yours and it tastes amazing. Thanks for sharing. Just wondering if your nutritional information is for the whole cake or per slice? None of the ingredients have many carbs so I would have guessed the carb count to be less 18g but I’m definitely not a carb counting expert.

• Diana May 5, 2014 at 4:42 am

Hi Karen, Thanks for sharing, I’m glad that it turned out for you! While coconut oil and palm shortening can be used interchangeably in baking there is a difference in their consistencies and in how they react when chilled (as you found out!) Here’s a link where you could purchase palm shortening online for future use: http://astore.amazon.com/realheacom-20/detail/B000A40OVQ. The honey is what upped the carb count — you could lower it by using a bit less and subbing with some stevia. Enjoy!