When I was growing up in the northwest corner of Washington state, the closest restaurant to our turn-of-the-century farmhouse was about 8 miles down the road, called The Farmhouse Restaurant. It was a laid back kind of place that served homey, feel good food. I can vividly remember the mountainous lemon meringue pies that were displayed in their rotating pie window. Those pies seemed to stretch a mile high!
This recipe for Mini Paleo Lemon Meringue Pies is a delicious, low-sugar way to enjoy the treat of a lemon meringue pie. It’s actually really easy to make, and turns out super cute and fun to serve on a pretty little tray. Enjoy!
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 6 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 Tablespoons coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Combine the crust ingredients. Press into 12 mini muffin tins. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden. Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
- Fill a medium pot with water, bring to boil over high heat. Place the egg yolks, maple syrup, lemon zest and lemon juice into a heatproof bowl, place over the pot and whisk constantly for 7-10 minutes until the curd thickens. Remove from heat and mix in the 6 Tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Fill each mini crust with lemon curd.
- Beat the meringue ingredients with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Place in a piping bag with a wide tip and cover each mini pie with a generous meringue topping.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden. Chill for 15 minutes before removing from pan. Keep in the fridge.