Salted Caramel Chocolate Cupcakes

Best gluten free recipe for salted caramel cupcakes

Salted Caramel? Yes please.

Inspiration is all around you.

Exciting new ideas lightly land in your mind like a drifting dandelion seed. What happens with these treasures is up to you.

I’m often inspired by food. (ya think?) These delicious and sometimes crazy edible ideas occur when least expected.

Like while standing in line at Starbucks.

If you frequent Starbucks then you’ve seen all of the new bakery items…loaf cakes, muffins, scones, cookies–you name it. Normally I don’t give the forbidden display of sugar a second glace, but then one day I saw it.

Caramel covered chocolate muffin. Gulp.

It. Looked. So. Good.

Of course it was gigantic and filled with gluten and cane sugar, so I got my tall Pike and raced back to the RHR Kitchen.

My version is in mini-muffin size, the perfect, guilt-free size if you ask me, and I couldn’t resist sprinkling it with pretty pink salt crystals.

Why do salt and sweet taste so awesome together? Scientists have found that certain sweet receptors in your tongue only work when salt is present. So those tasty little salt crystals actually allow you to get a fuller, sweeter taste. Thank you, science.

These petite cupcakes are made with a fluffy, chocolate cake that is drizzled in all natural caramel and sprinkled with pink sea salt. It contains zero gluten, grains, cane sugar or dairy. Just lots of delightful flavor 🙂 Enjoy!

Salted Caramel Chocolate Cupcakes

For the Chocolate Cupcakes
For the Caramel

For the Chocolate Cupcakes
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a mini muffin tin with coconut oil, or line with paper liners.
  2. Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. In another medium bowl combine the wet ingredients, except the egg whites.
  3. Mix the wet with the dry and set aside.
  4. Beat the egg whites until firm peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
  5. Equally distribute the batter between 24 mini muffin molds. Smooth out the tops of each cupcake. Bake for 12 minutes, until the tops are fully set.
For the Caramel
  1. In a skillet over medium heat, mix the coconut sugar, milk, oil, salt and vanilla. Once the mixture begins to boil, reduce the heat to low and continue to cook, stirring often for 5 minutes.
  2. Remove the skillet from heat and whisk in the baking soda. The mixture will turn a lighter color and will become creamy. Return to low heat and cook, mixing often, for 2 minutes.
  3. Remove the caramel from heat and allow to cool and thicken for 5 minutes.
  4. Garnish each cupcake with a drizzle of caramel and a generous sprinkle of sea salt. Enjoy!

Serving size: 1 Mini Cupcake     Calories: 82     Fat: 5     Carbohydrates: 7     Sugar: 4     Sodium: 30     Fiber: 2     Protein: 1

Best Paleo recipe for chocolate cupcakes with salted caramel.

Can’t leave my 8 year old alone in a room with these. He inhales them!

Comments

• Kendra February 4, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Looks great. Could you use a different type of flour than almond? It’s so expensive!

• Diana February 4, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Thanks, Kendra! You could simply grind almonds in a food processor instead of buying the almond flour already ground, and save some money that way.

• jac February 4, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Diana, am loving your meals! In Australia I cannot find almond flour anywhere. My health food store said to substitute it with Millet flour(?), what are your thoughts on that one? Or should I just whizz almonds in the food processor like you suggest above. Im about to make your almond bread as well, so wanted to check first. Thanks again for your great recipes.

• Diana February 4, 2014 at 10:12 pm

Thank so much Jac! Yes I would recommend grinding your own almond flour, or ordering from Amazon. I haven’t worked with Millet flour, so not sure how that would turn out. Here’s a link to the almond flour that I use: http://astore.amazon.com/realheacom-20/detail/B0006ZN538

• jac February 4, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Thanks, but when I order something from amazon, it ends up costing more than the product itself in delivery charges due to being in Australia (not to mention having to wait so long). I will soldier on with the whizzing of the almonds. Will try the millet flour in something else and let you know how it goes. Have a good one!

• Candy February 6, 2014 at 2:51 am

Diana, I made these with almond meal from Trader Joe’s and Organic Cacao Powder. The mixture was a little dry before adding in the eggs. I was only able to get 12 mini muffins out of the recipe, not 24. The cake tasted good but again it was a little dry. Is it supposed to be or can you give me some pointers on how to adjust the recipe given I’m not using regular cocoa? Thanks for the great recipes!

• Diana February 6, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Hi Candy, thanks for sharing. If your batter seems a little dry it’s OK to add 2 Tablespoons of melted coconut oil to this recipe. That will moisten it up. Mine turned out really moist without the oil, so it depends on how your batter turns out. Also be very careful when measuring out all of the ingredients, a little extra of something and you’ll end up with a different consistency. Enjoy!

• Candy February 6, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Thanks Diana, I may have been a little heavy handed in some areas. The cupcakes are going fast so I’ll have an opportunity to try again soon. Do you think I should only half the amount of raw organic cacao powder? Oh, and the caramel was really delicious!

• Diana February 6, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Try 3 Tablespoons of the cacao powder.

• tamara February 19, 2014 at 11:11 pm