This dinner recipe is SO GOOD!
If you simply love food, then you’ll really enjoy the depth of these flavors. Smoky bacon and spicy chipotle in the chili, sweet and tangy fruit and tequila in the salsa and rich, creamy goodness in the avocado dressing. All served on top of a butternut squash that has been seasoned and roasted to perfection.
It’s the perfect thing to cook up when you’re craving a really big, filling meal with all the trimmings. What you’ll love about this meal is how great you feel after eating it. Since it’s low in starches and high in protein and fiber, this food leaves you feeling satisfied but without a food hangover.
Just say no to the food hangover and make this yummy recipe tonight! Enjoy 🙂
- 2 organic butternut squash
- Drizzle of Olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- 6 slices nitrate-free bacon, chopped
- 2 lbs ground chicken (or your favorite ground meat!)
- 3 Tablespoons minced chipotle in adobo (add more if you want it spicy)
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 Tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Wash the butternut squash and slice in half, lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and discard. Drizzle olive oil over the cut sides of the squash and season with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 40 minutes.
- Place a large pot of medium heat. Add the bacon and brown for about 4 minutes. Add the ground chicken to the pot and continue to brown for 5 minutes, stirring often to break up the chicken pieces. Add the chipotle, cumin, coriander and sweet paprika.
- Add the onions, garlic, tomato paste and chicken broth to the pot and mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Serve by placing a scoop of chili in each roasted butternut squash half. Top with Tropical Tequila Salsa and Creamy Avocado Dressing (recipes below). Enjoy!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 mango, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, chopped
- ¼ cup tequila
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Place the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. add the bell peppers, onions, mango and pineapple. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Here’s the fun part! Remove the skillet from heat and pour on the tequila. Flame the tequila to burn off most of the alcohol. (If you aren’t sure what it means to ‘flame’ the tequila it’s really simple and fun–though you do need to be extra careful. Hold a flame to the tequila and it will quickly ignite and burn off. I use a handheld lighter with a long barrel, to keep my hand far back.)
- Return the skillet to the heat. Add the lime juice, cilantro and some sea salt. Cook for another 3 minutes and then remove from heat and serve. Enjoy!
- Place all of the ingredients in a high speed blender. Blend all of the ingredients until smooth. Keep in the fridge until serving. Enjoy!