Every mom knows that a quick casserole recipe can save the day. Of course it’s always best when that quick casserole recipe is something that the kids will actually eat!
My problem with most casserole recipes is that they all seem to be made with unhealthy ingredients. And I don’t care how convenient a recipe is to make, if it’s filled with grains and dairy then I’d rather not bother. Take traditional taco casseroles — these grease-bombs start with a layer of corn chips and end with a layer of cheese. Sounds like a tummy ache in the making…
The Real Healthy Taco Casserole takes all of the good things about a taco — the seasoned meat, veggies and toppings — and bakes it up with a cashew-based cheese spread and salsa. Baked sweet potato cubes make a wholesome base to take the place of grains. It’s quick, it’s wholesome and it’s delicious. Enjoy!
Oh and yes, the kids will actually eat this one 🙂
- 1 lb bag frozen sweet potato, cubed
- 1 lb grass fed ground beef
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- dash of sea salt
- ½ cup dairy free cheese spread (see below)
- 1 cup salsa
- 3 green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup sliced olives
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 cup lettuce, shredded
- ½ cup guacamole or mashed avocados
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease a casserole pan with coconut oil. Arrange the frozen sweet potato pieces in the casserole pan and bake for 15 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, brown the ground beef in a skillet along with the chili powder, sweet paprika, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder and salt, then drain off the liquid.
- In a medium bowl mix the dairy-free cheese spread and salsa together.
- Sprinkle the ground beef over the sweet potatoes, then sprinkle with the cheese mixture. Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees F and bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place a few scoops of casserole onto individual serving plates. Top with the onions, olives, tomato, lettuce and guacamole. Serve and enjoy!
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Store in the fridge.