In the summer of 2004, B and I first tried a field greens salad from a California Pizza Kitchen in Scottsdale, AZ. From the balsamic dressing to the crunchy pears and the sweet candied walnuts we were hooked.
I found a store-bought balsamic dressing and mimicked the recipe at home using refined sugar candied walnuts. We probably ate that salad a hundred times!
Once we started eating healthier, I was determined to make a more wholesome version of our favorite salad. This recipe has a simple, delicious balsamic dressing, nuts candied with coconut crystals, organic greens and crisp organic pears. Honestly, it’s tastier than the original.
Make a large batch of both the dressing and the candied pecans, then your salad prep will be really easy and quick.
- 1 Tablespoon organic coconut oil
- ⅓ cup roughly chopped organic pecans
- 3 Tablespoons coconut palm sugar
- 4 cups organic, mixed greens
- 1 Bosc pear, sliced
- In a small skillet, place the coconut oil over low heat. Once melted, add the pecans and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Add the coconut palm sugar. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes, until the coconut palm sugar has melted and the pecans are golden. Remove from heat, set aside.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small jar. Mix well.
- Divide the greens and sliced pears between 4 plates. Top with the candied pecans and drizzle with dressing. Enjoy!