Here it is…your new favorite summer recipe 🙂 It’s easy to fall into a rut with your BBQ menu — hamburgers, hot dogs, steak and plain old chicken get boring fast. This recipe is a great way to spice things up.
In the teriyaki marinade I used coconut aminos instead of soy and pure maple syrup instead of refined cane sugar. Substituting with wholesome sweeteners is an easy way to make your diet healthier. I haven’t kept cane sugar in my kitchen for years and have yet to find myself in a situation where a wholesome sweetener couldn’t do the job just as well. My go-to wholesome sweeteners are: pure maple syrup, coconut crystals, stevia (powder and liquid drops), and raw honey. Unlike sugar, these sweeteners contain usable vitamins and minerals and do not rob the body of nutrients.
I made this recipe on our trip to the mountains last week, and it was a huge hit. Take care to grease your grill or to put down foil over the grill to cook the skewers on, since the teriyaki marinade and the maple glaze tend to want to stick to the grill. Enjoy!
- 1 lb organic chicken breast tenders, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup coconut aminos
- 1 cup filtered water
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon minced ginger root
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, finely minced
- ¼ cup green bell pepper, finely minced
- 1 organic pineapple, cut into 1½ inch cubes
- For the Teriyaki Chicken: Cut the chicken tenders into 2 inch pieces and place in a large ziplock bag. Mix all of the teriyaki marinade ingredients in a medium bowl, add to the ziplock bag of chicken and place in the fridge for 2 to 24 hours.
- For the Maple Bacon: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a rimmed baking sheet by covering it with foil and placing a metal cooling rack in the center. In a shallow bowl, combine the maple syrup and mustard. Mix well. Dip each slice of bacon in the maple mixture, then on the metal rack. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the bacon is cooked, but not crispy. You may need to cook the bacon in 2 batches. Cut each slice of bacon into 3 equal pieces.
- For the Skewers: Prepare the skewers by alternately threading pineapple, chicken and a folded piece of bacon.
- Grill: In order to prevent major sticking on the grill, grease the grill with olive oil OR place foil down on the grill, coat with olive oil and place skewers on the foil. Grill 10-12 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the bacon is crispy. Enjoy!