Not eating gluten or dairy? No worries. This recipe is for you.
I went out on a limb when I attempted to create a recipe for Baked Chicken Chiles Rellenos that was gluten, grain, dairy and soy free. Oh wow, it paid off. B says that this is one of the top 2 recipes I’ve ever made. So with that rave review, I’m sure you’ll want to try this one for yourself!
To replace the ooey, gooey white cheese that’s typically melted into the center of Chiles Rellenos, I came up with a cashew spread that’s creamy and savory. It’s super easy to make, just throw all those ingredients into your high speed blender or food processor. And to replace the corn meal coating, I’ve used a combination of coconut flour, almond flour and nutritional yeast.
Hope you and your family enjoy this dish as much as we did!
- 6 oz (about 1 cup) raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon water
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ½ clove garlic
- Dash of pepper
- 6 skinless, boneless, organic chicken breast halves
- 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 Tablespoons almond flour
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 omega-3 egg
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 (4oz) can whole green chile peppers, rinsed, seeded and cut in half lengthwise
- 2 Tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8oz salsa
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a casserole pan with olive oil.
- Discard the cashew soaking water. Combine all of the cheese spread ingredients into a high speed blender. Mix until completely smooth. Set aside.
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Place between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat mallet, pound meat lightly into a rectangle about ⅛ inch thick. Repeat with remaining chicken breast halves.
- In a shallow bowl combine the coconut flour, almond flour, nutritional yeast and paprika. In another shallow bowl place the egg and water, beat lightly to combine.
- For each roll, place a chile pepper half on a chicken piece near the edge, smear with ⅙ of the cheese spread, sprinkle with cilantro and a dash of pepper. Fold in sides, roll up starting from the edge with the chile pepper. Secure with a toothpick.
- Dip each chicken roll in the egg mixture and then the flour mixture. Place rolls, seam side down, in prepared baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes, until the chicken is no longer pink. Remove the toothpicks. Heat the salsa, pour over the rolls and serve. Enjoy!