Lately I’ve been working out hard at my local Fit Body Bootcamp. The workouts are 30 super intense minutes long, and are always different and challenging.
While I love how energized and fit it makes me feel, boy do I get hungry afterwards! Last night I was craving a hearty, Italian themed meal and came up with this low carb recipe for lasagna.
While there are plenty of low carb lasagna recipes on the web, each one that I’ve found is very time consuming. A labor intensive dish was not what I was looking for. I needed something that I could whip together in between taking my son to guitar lessons and helping with homework.
My time saving solution was to use simple sliced zucchini as noodles, and to mix all of the filling ingredients together rather than make many layers.
Another cool idea I had for this recipe was to use egg whites as a cheese substitute. You’d be surprised at how similar baked egg white looks and feels to melted cheese. The family had no clue that this dish was dairy-free!
Start to finish this recipe should not take more than one hour. Make it on a day when your appetite is ferocious….this one really satisfies.
- 1 small spaghetti squash
- 4 zucchini, sliced into ⅛ inch noodles (see pic)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-2 lbs free range ground turkey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 cup organic marinara sauce
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup organic marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets and a 9×13 casserole dish with olive oil.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half, scrape out the seeds, then put into a microwave safe dish with 2 inches of water. Microwave each half separately for 10 minutes. Be careful when removing from microwave, it will be very hot. (If you don’t want to use a microwave then pierce it and bake it whole at 375 F for an hour.) Set aside to cool.
- Using a mandoline slicer, slice the zucchini into ⅛ inch lasagna noodles. Place in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets. In a small bowl combine the olive oil, salt and pepper and dried basil. Brush over the noodles. Bake at 400 F for 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet, place the turkey, garlic, onion and oregano over medium high heat. When the turkey is browned add the marinara sauce. Turn off the heat, and scrape the spaghetti squash into the skillet. Mix well. Press down on the filling with a spoon to release as much of the spaghetti squash’s water as possible.
- Check out the pictures below for the step-by-step. Start by making a single layer of zucchini noodles at the bottom of your casserole dish. Top with ⅔′s of the filling. Crack 3 egg whites over the top of the filling layer. Top with the remaining zucchini noodles, the remaining filling, the remaining marinara, and then carefully crack the remaining 3 egg whites — It’s very important to crack the egg whites on and to not touch them or try to spread them around. This will ensure that they come out looking pretty and white. If you spread them around then it will get cloudy with the marinara sauce and won’t look so much like cheese. Sprinkle a little more oregano and basil on the very top.
- Bake for 25 minutes and then turn on the broil for about 3 minutes. Enjoy!