Wanna know where I come up with recipes like this one? OK I’ll share my secret with you…
I’m a little obsessed with food. Ha, B would laugh at the “little” part. I’m a lot obsessed with food.
Not just any food, but real, wholesome delicious food. I could (and do!) happily spend 10 plus hours in the kitchen, experimenting and creating new and tasty dishes.
As obsessed as I am with food, I have extremely high standards for the quality and content of what I eat. If it’s processed, filled with gluten, sugar or dairy then I’m not interested. Those foods may taste good, but in the end they leave me feeling gross.
So back to how I come up with these recipes…Whenever I see off-limits food that looks delicious – in an advertisement, at a restaurant, in the store — I go home and come up with a healthy, gluten+sugar+dairy free version of that same food item.
This dessert pizza was on a flier from a pizza place that happened to land in my mailbox. Mmmmm, that dessert pizza that was being sold for $6.99 sure looked amazing, but I could just imagine the awful ingredients it was made of. So I came up with this wholesome version of the same product.
Bet you anything my Apple Dessert Pizza tastes better than that one sold for $6.99! And you know that this one is filled with wholesome ingredients. Yum.
Turns out we can have our cake (er, dessert pizza) and eat it too!
- 1 Tablespoon raw honey
- 1 packet dry yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
- ¾ cup blanched almond flour
- 3 Tablespoons coconut flour
- ½ cup arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons coconut palm sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 apples, sliced
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon coconut flour
- Dash of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet with coconut oil.
- In a small bowl combine the honey, yeast and warm water. Mix carefully with a fork. Set aside for 5 minutes, until foamy.
- In a medium bowl combine the almond flour, coconut flour, arrowroot starch, cinnamon, coconut palm sugar and salt. Work out the lumps with a fork. Add the egg, coconut oil and vinegar to the yeast mixture and mix to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones. Mix well and form a ball of dough. Work the dough for about 30 seconds with your hands, smoothing out any lumps.
- Place the dough ball in the middle of your prepared pan. Dip your fingers in coconut oil, then use them to flatten the dough into a circle.
- In a medium bowl combine the apple filling ingredients. Arrange the apples spiraling out from the middle of the dough, leaving 2-3 inches of bare dough around the edge. Fold the edge in, over the edges of the apples. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the dough is golden.
- In a medium bowl combine the icing ingredients. Mix until all lumps disappear. Spread over cooked and cooled pizza.