Slow cooker recipes are aaaaaaamazing for weeknight dinners.
Gone are the days of scrambling to manage the kids, homework and after-school activities all while making dinner. These days I spend 15-20 minutes in the morning, getting dinner in the slow cooker, and then by dinnertime the house smells like a restaurant and dinner is hot and ready to serve.
It doesn’t get better than that! And it eliminates the temptation to grab a not-so-healthy dinner from a drive thru.
This recipe is extremely simple to throw together, and the end result is chicken breasts that are super moist and flavorful. Serve it up with a dark green salad.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 lbs organic, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 12 dried figs, chopped (it looks pretty to use both dark and light ones)
- 1 cup butternut squash, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 Tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- In a large skillet place the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper. Add to the skillet, browning each side for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the contents of the skillet to your slow cooker and top with the remaining ingredients.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.