The kitchen is my happy place, baking is my meditation, these Cherry Lemon Drop Muffins my masterpiece.
I love the flavor combo of lemon and sweet cherry, and couldn’t wait to bake these two together.
Look for organic dark sweet cherries in the freezer section of your healthy grocery store. The kids and I have found the frozen cherries by themselves also make an awesome after dinner treat — just watch out for brain freeze!
These fun muffins are gluten, grain, dairy and cane-sugar free. All while being deliciously moist and flavor-full.
- ⅔ cup coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 omega-3 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup pure maple syrup, grade b
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Lemon zest from one lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup frozen, organic, pitted cherries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 24 mini muffin pan with coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the coconut flour, salt and baking powder.
- In another medium bowl combine the eggs, vanilla, syrup, coconut milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, and lemon extract. Add the dry ingredients and mix well. It will still be lumpy at this point. Add the melted (and cooled) coconut oil and whisk into the batter. Continue to whisk until all lumps disappear.
- In a high speed blender, or food processor, puree the frozen cherries.
- Fill each of the prepared muffin tins with batter ¾ of the way to the top. Drop a spoonful of frozen cherry puree on the top of each muffin. The cherry will drop during baking to settle in the lower portion of each muffin.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until lightly golden and fully set. Allow to cool in the pan, the remove and place on a wire cooling rack. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.