Almost 10 years ago B and I went on a family cruise to Alaska on a Holland America ship. While the scenery was gorgeous and the calving icebergs were breathtaking, one thing really captured our attention on that trip. And, yes, it was something served up on the Lido deck.
One night on the cruise the chef served his signature bread pudding and with it a sinfully creamy ‘Creme Anglaise’ sauce. That dessert was so delicious and memorable that we still talk about it!
Today I do not eat gluten, grain, sugar or dairy — all main ingredients in bread pudding. Nevertheless, after some experimentation in the kitchen I’ve come up with this bread pudding recipe that rivals Holland America’s, and manages to be much healthier.
You’ll need to break out your slow cooker for this recipe.
- 8 omega-3 eggs
- 2 (13.66 oz) cans of coconut milk, organic and full fat
- ½ cup pure maple syrup, grade b
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon plus a dash more
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups Almond Bread, cut into small cubes (leave these cubes out on a tray overnight so they dry out a bit)
- ⅔ cup golden raisins
- For the Bread Pudding: Whisk the eggs, coconut milk, maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla until fully combined. Mix the bread cubes and raisins in your slow cooker and sprinkle with cinnamon. Pour the egg mixture over the bread. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours.
- For the Sinful Bread Pudding Sauce: In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks, syrup and salt. In a saucepan heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and mix well. Continue to heat, stirring often, until it reaches a low boil. Immediately pour half of the hot milk into the yolk mixture. Whisk vigorously for 30 seconds. Add the remaining milk and continue to whisk for 5 minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Serve the warm bread pudding with a generous dousing of sauce and a sprinkle of cinnamon.