When I was in high school there was a recipe for caramel apple upside down cake that I’d make and bring to every party.
That recipe used yellow boxed cake mix and lots of brown sugar — not exactly healthy!
This is my gluten and cane sugar free version of that old beloved cake. It’s just as moist and sweet and also wholesome.
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup coconut palm sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 organic apples, thinly sliced and chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease an 8×8 pan with coconut oil.
- Caramel Topping: In a small bowl combine the melted coconut oil, coconut palm sugar and cinnamon. Pour into the prepared pan. Evenly sprinkle the chopped apples over the caramel.
- In a medium bowl combine the coconut flour, almond flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In another medium bowl combine the eggs, vanilla, syrup, and coconut milk. Blend well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones, and then slowly mix in the melted coconut oil.
- Carefully spread the cake batter over the apples and caramel in the pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Loosen the edges of the cake with a knife. Invert the cake by placing a plate over the top of the pan and then flipping it over.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!