Yay! Here’s a wholesome version of the packaged-and-pumped-full-of-sugar-and-gluten granola bars that the kids love!
This recipe took some tweaking — wholesome ingredients don’t always want to stick together! — but I’ve finally nailed it down.
Whole seeds, nuts, shredded coconut and mini chocolate chips combined with almond butter, flax meal, coconut oil and maple syrup make these bars super tasty and fully loaded with vitamins, minerals, and real, usable calories.
- 2 Tablespoons ground flax meal
- 3 Tablespoons filtered water
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup, grade b
- ½ cup almond butter (no sugar added)
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup roasted, salted sunflower seeds
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup mini dairy-free soy-free chocolate chips
- ½ cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line the bottom of a 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper, and coat with coconut oil. Set aside.
- In a small cup combine the flax meal and water. Whisk with a fork and set aside to thicken.
- In a small saucepan, over low heat, combine the coconut oil, maple syrup, almond butter and almond extract. Stir occasionally and remove from heat when melted. Allow to cool, about 10 minutes.
- Add the thickened flax meal to the saucepan and mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine the seeds, nuts, coconut and chocolate chips. Pour the almond butter mixture in and mix well. Press the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, until golden and bubbly. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Once cooled, loosen the sides with a knife, then invert onto a cutting board. Remove the parchment paper by peeling off carefully. Place the entire cutting board into the fridge for 15 minutes — this is an important step that will ensure that your bars harden completely and do not crumble. After 15 minutes, remove from fridge and cut into 20 bars. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.