Apple Fritter Muffins

recipe for healthy apple fritter

These muffins are better than doughnuts!

When I was little I loved apple fritters. The gooey, sticky, apple-y doughnut was my favorite thing to eat on Saturday mornings.

Well, since traditional apple fritters are filled with sugar, unhealthy fats, carbs, and gluten, eating one just isn’t an option anymore.

This recipe for Apple Fritter Muffins captures the flavor and experience of an apple fritter doughnut without any of the repercussions! In fact you’ll be getting protein and even some fiber from these tasty treats.

Apple Fritter Muffins

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 12-muffin pan with coconut oil.
  2. In a skillet heat the coconut oil over medium. Add the apples, raisins, pecans, water, cinnamon and maple syrup. Cook, mixing often until the apples become tender. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
  3. In a bowl combine the eggs, coconut milk, coconut flour, baking soda, dash of cinnamon and salt. Add two thirds of the apple mixture to the eggs. Mix until well combined.
  4. Using a ¼ cup, fill each prepared muffin tin with the egg mixture. Place a spoonful of the reserved apple mixture on top of each muffin.
  5. Bake for 35 minutes, or until fully set.

Calories: 117     Fat: 7 g     Carbohydrates: 7 g     Sodium: 84 mg     Fiber: 2 g     Protein: 6 g

Recipe for healthy apple fritter

Comments

• Amy February 16, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Hmmm. Well, I can’t say these will be a family favorite. They tasted like scrambled eggs with cinnamon. Which…if you look at the ingredients, isn’t far from the truth. The texture was nothing like a muffin or a fritter. Even with oiling, this almost ruined my muffin pan. It stuck like glue! Maybe more cocoanut flour would help?

• WjCortez February 13, 2014 at 12:39 am

I echo Amy’s comments. I was so excited about making these apple fritter muffins. They looked so enticing, but were a big disappointment. Seemed like they could have used more coconut flour. They tasted nothing like a muffin to me; rather scrambled eggs dusted with cinnamon apples. I’m positive I followed the recipe to a T. Guess these just aren’t right for me. On another note, I have tried and love Caveman cookies, and a few other goodies. Yum! Thanks for all you do.

• Diana February 13, 2014 at 8:28 pm

I’m so sorry to hear that you weren’t happy with this recipe. Glad you like the cookies.

• Janice October 14, 2014 at 2:00 am

I love this recipe! I actually love the fact that it’s made mostly with eggs… Even though it doesn’t have the texture that gluten provides, it still resembles the great flavor of apple fritters, yet guiltless and full of protein. Thanks so much for this recipe, Diana.

• Diana October 14, 2014 at 5:30 pm

You’re welcome, Janice. Thanks so much for sharing 🙂

• pm July 22, 2015 at 6:11 am

These are absolutely wonderful! I left out the pecans due to nut issues, and used honey. We put butter on these, ate them all and still wanted more!