Orange Blueberry Paleo Muffins
Whenever I bite into a big, juicy blueberry it brings me back to late-summer trips down to the blueberry farm.
We would drive down farm-to-market road, where it would plunge down into the valley with Samish bay sparkling off to the left, and majestic Mount Baker tall and white, rising off to the right. The road would wind through Edison, a town so small you could hold your breath from one end to the other. Then we’d pass the Rhododendron Cafe, home to surprisingly sophisticated cuisine despite it’s humble appearance and remote location. Farmhouses would whizz by, with big friendly horses and brightly colored swing sets. Finally we would pull into the blueberry farm parking lot, gravel crunching cheerfully.
The air inside the shop was sweet from the rows of blueberry flats and freshly baked blueberry pies.
On the drive home I would run my hand over the tops of the blueberry flats, fingers grabbing onto the biggest ones, teeth turning blue.
The sweet-tart flavor of blueberry pairs perfectly with refreshing orange. These muffins are low carb, protein-filled and delicately flavored. Enjoy one for an energizing power breakfast.
- 3 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon flax meal
- 3 omega-3, free range eggs
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted over low heat
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Generously grease 12 muffin tin pan with coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl combine the almond flour, salt, baking soda, flax meal, and cinnamon. Mix until well combined.
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, orange juice, agave nectar, coconut oil, orange zest and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones in small batches, mix until fully incorporated. Fold in the blueberries.
- Fill the prepared muffin tin and bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden.
Did you try this recipe? Share how you liked it below…
Powered by Facebook Comments