Eggplant Parmesan is classic comfort food…but did you know that a dinner portion ordered at your favorite restaurant contains more than 1,000 calories and 60 grams of fat?!?!
There’s nothing comforting about that.
This recipe for Real Healthy Eggplant Parmesan has been significantly lightened. I’ve eliminated the fryer and the white flour, resulting in a tender and tasty dish that won’t land on your hips.
- 2 medium, organic eggplants
- 1½ cup blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 Tablespoon flax meal
- 2 omega-3, free range eggs
- 2 Tablespoons filtered water
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups organic spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice the eggplant into slices no larger than ¼ inch.
- In a medium bowl combine the almond flour, salt, basil and flax. In another medium bowl whisk the eggs and water. Dip each slice of eggplant in the egg mixture and then coat each side with the almond flour mixture.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Coat with the olive oil. Saute the eggplant slices until tender and golden, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Spread 1 cup of the spaghetti sauce into a 13×9 baking pan. Place a layer of eggplant over the sauce, then sprinkle ½ cup of the mozzarella evenly over it. Cover with another cup of spaghetti sauce and another layer of eggplant. Top with the remaining sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil, bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and turn the oven to broil for 3-5 minutes, until the top is browned.
Did you try this recipe? Share how you liked it below…