My entire life is patched together by a series of lists.
There’s the work to-do lists that clutter my desk in piles, dark lines slashing through the completed items.
There’s the on-going grocery list in my iphone notes, constantly being added to, erased, and then restarted as soon as I leave the store parking lot.
There’s my recipe ingredient lists, filling notebooks that clutter the counters of the kitchen, within arm’s reach for when inspiration strikes and marked with spills and stains of every assortment.
Then there’s the secret lists of things that I imagine accomplishing one day. Dreams that refuse to leave me alone, no matter how hard I try to ignore them.
These lists keep my hours productive and my life on track, and for that I’m grateful.
There are times, however, when I’d like to gather all my lists into a great big pile and drop a fiery match onto it, in order to re-live the carefree oblivion of my youth.
Biting into a Skinny Lemon Bar is like turning back the hands of time to revisit what it felt like to not care how productive a day would be, but to simply care about enjoying the moment.
With no refined sugar or flour, you can enjoy the delicately sweet treat without worrying about adding an extra workout to your list.
Just close your eyes, take a lazy bite, and allow time to stand still.
- 3 cups blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted over low heat
- 2 Tablespoons raw honey
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted over low heat
- ½ cup raw honey
- 6 omega-3, free range eggs
- ⅔ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons lemon rind
- 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a 13″x9″ baking pan with coconut oil and lightly dust with coconut flour. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the almond flour and salt. In another bowl combine the coconut oil, raw honey, extracts and lemon rind. Mix the dry and wet ingredients together until well combined. Press the dough into the bottom of prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden.
- In a blender combine all of the lemon layer ingredients on high until smooth. Pour over the baked crust. Bake for another 15-20 minutes until golden. Allow to cool for 30 minutes then refrigerate for 2 hours until set. Cut into bars and serve.