Remember all the junk we would eat as kids?
Twinkies, Famous Amos cookies, Ding Dongs and, of course, Hostess Cupcakes.
What were our parents thinking?!?
I guess back then trans fats and refined sugar weren’t the bad guys that we know them to be now.
This recipe uses blanched almond flour (my new favorite thing!) and a meringue frosting consisting of egg whites and raw honey to re-create the nostalgic treat.
- ½ cup blanched almond flour (save $ buy purchasing this online in bulk)
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 free range, omega 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted over very low heat
- ½ cup raw honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup raw honey
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup dark chocolate (72% cocoa or higher)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl combine the almond flour, cocoa powder, raw honey and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and mix until fully incorporated.
- Pour ¼ cup of batter into each muffin liner. Bake for 20 minutes, then allow muffins to cool for one hour in the pan.
- Melt chocolate in a sauce pan over very low heat, stirring constantly. Stir in the coconut oil. Cool in fridge for 10 minutes. Blend with mixer until fluffy.
- Heat the raw honey over medium heat in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Decrease heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until the color darkens. Set aside. Using an electric mixer, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Slowly drizzle the honey into the egg white while continuing to whip. Stop whipping when the meringue becomes shiny with stiff peaks.
- Remove each muffin from the liner. Use a small knife to carve out a small circle on the top of each muffin. Save the top piece, and carve down about an inch, discarding the crumbs. Fill a pastry bag with the meringue, and use to fill each hole. Replace the top pieces. Carefully apply a layer of ganache on top of each cupcake, then use the remaining meringue to create the signature Hostess swirls!